Zam
Zam asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

Would the WJC have been a total Canadian blowout if they were held on NHL size ice?

How much of a disadvantage to North American players, if any, do you feel that the conversion to Olympic ice really is?

Also, with the growth in size of NHL players, and the evolution of equipment such as the heated skate blade, do you believe that a conversion to Olympic ice is the next natural step for the NHL? Why or why not?

JP- try taking a deep breath. It was a question. What about my question did I give my opinion on it. I asked a question to hear others opinions on the topic.

If I would have asked "Why hasn't the NHL changed to Olympic ice yet?" Then I could understand your hostility.

You are dead wrong, I enjoy the game very much as it is now, I am just curious as to others perspectives on this as a possible change.

• Favorite Answer

The North American defenceman have an advantage on the smaller ice surface when shooting at the net. The extra 7.5ft on either side in the International rink takes some adjusting to when taking shots from the point (forces players to adjust their shooting angles).

I would love to see a change to the International ice size. It would give more ice to everybody. Trust me though, Lamoriello and Risebrough will strart drafting Swedinsh Defenceman and employ the trap on the bigger surface.

The one downfall to that is despite the influx of newer rinks over the last 28 years (hard to believe that the Joe Louis arena is the 3rd oldest arena), very few are capable of switching between an 'Olympic size' and 'NHL size' ice surface.

jp242424

The 2002 Olympic gold medal was a very hard hitting game............played on an Olympic size rink. The last two periods of this afternoons game featured a lot of hard hits. The size of the rink will not affect an NHL player from finishing his checks.

it's nowhere near feasible. Rinks would have to eliminate some of their most profitable seats, and it would screw up the view for everybody- the sightlines in the arenas are made for the north American rinks. You would have to rebuild virtually every NHL Rink to do that.... And really? I think it would detract form the game. the north American style of play that the fans here love is physical, and the larger ice discourages that. So no, the NHL should not change. there's just no upside. To Coyotes fan: Some can be reconfigured. Vancover's rink was made to me adjustable so they could host the olympics. It's a moot point now because the IIHF has decided to use the 200x 85 size in 2010. But that kind of building is an exception- most buildings cannot be modified- structural elements - like the entire first level of seats and their taper up would have to be totally rebuilt, and some designs, like the old maple leaf gardens that could not be done without bringing the building down.

The Swedes are a fantastic team and would have been able to adapt to NHL-size ice. The conversion to the larger ice service is the next step, but it would also require a substantial investment by all hockey arenas to change their configurations.

PS JP chill out. Olympic-sized ice would open up the game and create a faster paced game which does not mean less physical. It also would weed out some of those "slow" skaters who truly take some of the fun out of hockey.

going to olympic size rinks, would decrease physical play, because you would have a hard time finishing checks, with the extra space to cover. You would also have defensman taking more penalties with guys going wide around them. On top of that, teams would be forced into playing some form of a trap, to slow teams down. That would make for some really exciting games, huh? You need to realize, with everything you try to change in the game, it is going to have downsides to them, as well. Try enjoying the game, instead of looking for new ways to screw it up, huh?

Not at all, actually. Hockey Canada's got an international-sized rink in Calgary where they hold tryouts and practices.

• NIPS®

I think Olympic size would be great in the NHL.

I believe it would make your better skaters more efficient.

They should at least require that any new arenas are capable of easy conversion to 200x100 size, for that reason.