What do employers mean when they say current salary?

I'm applying for a job and i'm meant to write my current salary in the covering letter. Do they mean what I expect from them or what I'm getting at the moment? someone plz help!

What you are getting at the moment

"Current" means "now"

• James

You should write what you are earning, not what you are being paid. If anyone queries the discrepancy, you just say that the question was ambiguous.

In the case of ambiguous questions, you can give an ambiguous answer (which plays the same game that they play: which might irritate people).

Alternatively, state your assumptions clearly, and demonstrate what you are earning. This makes your answer less ambiguous, and any misunderstanding can be clarified at the negotiation stage.

What they WANT you to write is the basic salary you get in the job you're doing now.

What you SHOULD write is the total package you're currently on, so if you get commission, or guaranteed overtime, or a car allowance, or anything like that, you should include it in your letter.

• !

What you are earning now - but if you get substantial benefits on top (eg bonus, pension contributions, commission) you might like to include that, to help influence any future negotiations regarding starting pay if you are offered the new job.

Good luck!

Seriously, you really don't get that?

It means what you currently earn (hence the CURRENT salary).

• Cupid

It means what you are being paid at your current job. Best Wishes!

It means what your currently earning

What you are getting at the moment so they can see if what they would offer you would be worth your while or not

Its asking how much you are earning now.

iTS INSTEAD OF PEANUTS I THINK.