Do you know 80's Movies?

What is your favorite 80's movie? What is it about??

Thank you for all of the great ideas!!

Favorite Answer

Grease 2

And "by definition alone, they're inferior films." Don't let the title mislead you. Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta are not back for the second installment. I was disappointed the first time I saw it, because I was expecting another Grease

19. About Last Night

For better or worse, David Mamet's hit play Sexual Perversity in Chicago is watered down into this romantic comedy about a couple (played by Rob Lowe and Demi Moore) who get together and then fall apart due to Lowe's character's inability to commit. Jim Belushi is in the movie too.

18. Staying Alive

Highly recommended--for Saturday Night Fever completists and connoisseurs of bad movies. This notable dud updates the story of Tony Manero (John Travolta), the disco prince from Fever, as he heads across the river to Manhattan and tries to make it as a dancer on Broadway.

17. Xanadu

Xanadu, Why do people criticize you so? All you ever wanted was to make people sing along, throw on a pair of roller skates, and boogie with Olivia Newton-John and ELO! I LOVED this movie as a kid. Read

16. Urban Cowboy

John Travolta traded in disco duds for a cowboy hat in this corny love story about a working man who breaks up with his girlfriend (Debra Winger), then plays out their relationship's turmoil inside a huge honky-tonk called Gilley's

15. Can't Buy Me Love

Known as BOY RENTS GIRL during production, story has nerdy Dempsey paying senior heartthrob Peterson a hard-earned grand to pose as his girlfriend, correctly surmising his own stock will rise.

14. Working Girl

Melanie Griffith had a fling with stardom in this Mike Nichols comedy about an executive secretary (Griffith) who can't get her deserved shot at upward mobility in the brokerage industry. Hardly taken seriously by male bosses...

13. Footloose

Ren (Kevin Bacon) is a city boy who has moved to a small town where rock music and dancing have been banned. Of course, since Ren is the new kid in town..

12. Splash

Tom Hanks was a relatively unknown TV actor with a sitcom as his biggest credit when relatively unknown director Ron Howard...

11. Vision Quest

This film wraps up the big wrestling match that Terry Davis's novel left unresolved. It also makes Carla (Linda Fiorentino, in her screen debut) less of a bad girl.

10. Mannequin

This movie was one I had seen sometime when I was a kid, and now that I'm older, it's pretty interesting! I'm a kid born in the 80's who wished it would never end, and this has the perfect chemistry.

9. Valley Girl

Fun Fun Fun!! That's what the 80's was all about. This movie is still unbelievable, even 18 years after it was released in theaters. If you want a great 80s movie....

8. Pretty In Pink

The era of Molly Ringwald's profitable collaboration with writer-producer-director John Hughes (Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club) was at its peak with this 1986 film..

7. Dirty Dancing

As with Grease (1978) and Footloose (1984) before it, Dirty Dancing was a cultural phenomenon that now plays more like camp.

6. Sixteen Candles

Review:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Some Kind of

Wonderful

Review:

I consider this one of the top five best teen movies of the 80's [Can't Buy Me Love, Breakfast Club, 16 Candles, Weird Science]. Additionally, I think it tops its sibling film, Pretty in Pink. Read More...

4. When Harry Met

Sally

Review:

3. Top Gun

Review:

I grew up in the 80's, but I didn't really watch Top Gun until a few years ago. I definitely saw what all the fuss was about when just about everybody mentioned Top Gun as one of their favorite movies of all time. Read More...

2. An Officer and a

Gentleman

Review:

1. Pretty Woman

Review:

The 80's was quite an era for movies with The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Goonies. However there is one movie which stands out in my mind, Pretty Woma

• Mirell

I love the 80's.

The Breakfast Club

Sixteen Candles

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Dead Poet's Society

E.T

Pretty In Pink

The Princess Bride

The Goonies

When Harry Met Sally

Back to the Future

Top Gun

Dirty Dancing

Sorry for having so many, I couldn't just pick one!

• csi83

The Shining

Full Metal Jacket

Raging Bull

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Scarface

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

ET: The Extra-Terrestrial

Too numerous to mention, but I'll try.

Pink Floyd The Wall (might have been '79)

Caddyshack

Airplane

Return of the Pink Panther

They Live

Deadly Friend

Bad Dreams

The Whoopie Boys

Nice Girls Don't Explode

The Highlander

Ordinary People

ET

The Goonies

Halloween 1 and 3

Nightmare on Elm Street

Revenge of the Nerds

Purple Rain

The 80's was a great decade for movies... there was Pretty in Pink, St. Elmo's fire, Bill and Ted's excellent adventure, The Blue lagoon and my favorite suspense movie, 10 to midnight....Check it out....

The Goonies! It's about a group of kids that go on a quest for buried treasure. It's a good movie. It has Anne Ramsey (who played momma from "Throw Momma from the train") and it has Sean Astin before he was Sam from "Lord of the Rings". It's a fun movie.

Girls Just Want to Have Fun. It's with Sarah Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt. She wanted to dance on this show but her strict dad would let her. She ends up dancing on the show and gets the guy. Fun movie.

The Goonies, The Breakfast Club, The Lost Boys, All The Right Moves, Top Gun, Cocktail, The Outsiders, The Karate Kid, Adventures In Babysitting.

My favorite 80s movie is Baby Boom.

• Kiri

So many!

Breakfast Club - 5 kids from different backgrounds (eg one's a dork, one's a rebel) get stuck together in detention & get to know each other. Plenty of great one-liners, a definite classic!

Just one of the guys - girl feels discriminated against due to losing a summer job to a guy, so she chops her hair & goes to another high school dressed as a guy (social experiment, you know the deal). Sweet & funny.

Can't buy me love - someone already mentioned it. Dork pays popular girl money to date him so as to up his social status. Patrick Dempsey - so cute!

Class - guy tries to get laid with unexpected results.

Breakdance - dance movie with hideous outfits...nice girl makes new friends & joins them in a breakdancing group. I've run out of steam doing these reviews, so I'm shutting up now...Enjoy!!