Locked car doors whilst driving?

somebody told me that i should lock my car doors when i get into my car because somebody could try to rob/hijack me when i stop at a junction or traffic lights.... however i live in quite a safe area and i worry that if i was to have an accident, if the doors were locked people wouldn't be able to open to... show more somebody told me that i should lock my car doors when i get into my car because somebody could try to rob/hijack me when i stop at a junction or traffic lights....

however i live in quite a safe area and i worry that if i was to have an accident, if the doors were locked people wouldn't be able to open to door to get me out.

what do you think is best to do?
Update: after reading some of the answers so far it does seem like a good idea to lock the doors, maybe i will lock when i come to a stop and unlock when im on the move. here in england, i do think it is more likely that someone would crash their car rather than having it hijacked because you hear about road accidents... show more after reading some of the answers so far it does seem like a good idea to lock the doors, maybe i will lock when i come to a stop and unlock when im on the move.

here in england, i do think it is more likely that someone would crash their car rather than having it hijacked because you hear about road accidents all the time.