promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Small Dog ate Rat Poison!?

My Grandmothers 10lb ****-zu just ate a little rat poison. The vet said to try and make her vomit, but that didn't work, so they just rushed her over there. They knew almost immediatly that she had eaten it so they did catch it early.....Is she going to be ok?

Update:

ok... they bleeped it but her dog is a shitzu

Update 2:

We just got a call from the vet-They think they got all the poison out of her stomach! They are going to give her Vitamin K and anti-biotics and said she should be ok.

When all this happend they were actually visiting another family member-So I am sure this will never happen again! Thanks for all the encouragment!

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Carl
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

    Your vet may have gotten it out of the dog before it got in his system. If not he can give the dog vitamin K but its not cheep.

    If your dog gets really bad and it's to late for the vitamin K to work the only way to save them is with new blood from another dog.

    I bet if you have a good vet your dog will be fine. However you might want to find your checkbook.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    The dog should be just fine since it was taken to the vet right away. Did anyone bring the rat poison container to the vet? Knowing the specific ingredient(s) helps determine the ideal treatment or the duration of treatment.

    For future reference, if this happened at Grandma's house, she should not keep any kind of rat poison there in the future. The smaller the dog, the less poison it takes to harm or kill them, and next time you might not be as lucky to catch the dog and obtain treatment right away. For example, if the dog had eaten the stuff right before bed, but no one noticed the empty package until the morning, that gives the poison an 8-10 hour head start, and it would certainly be too late to induce vomiting to get rid of it (most stuff is out of the stomach and into the intestines within an hour or less). It might still be treatable, but the treatment would be more costly and prolonged than if you could get rid of most of the poison by just inducing vomiting.

    Best of luck!

    Source(s): 18 years of veterinary-related experience
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Good luck! It depends of the dog itself now.. next time to male your dog vomit put your finger in the throught and add some water... it might help... but not easy for a small dog... you did just the right thing to bring your dog to the vet!

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    they will induce vomiting when they get there. she'll probably be ok since you reacted so quickly. good job.

    you might also want to keep poison control's number handy. one time my dog ate paint, it was water colors, but i was young and home alone so i couldnt get her to a vet and i was scared. so the lady on the phone told me what to do, which was nice of her since i'm sure she's not used to dealing with animals. thankfully since it was water colors it wasnt dangerous, but it could have been!

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    My small Miniture Pincher ate some rat poison and didn't know about it till it was too late.

    He died in his sleep last night. My mom found a box of rat poison under her bed.

    I know I'm never buying rat Poison ever again.

    My puppy was only 2 years old and I miss him so much already. =[

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    It sounds like you have handled it the best that you could have. The dog is in the right place for care. Now ...get rid of the rat poison.

    Jason Stalnecker

    Source(s): Jason Stalnecker
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    The faster treatment begins, the better the odds are. The key is to keep it from being absorbed into the bloodstream. Wishing you and your grandmother good luck.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    She should be, the vets know how to get it out of their system quickly!!

    Good Luck and I hope Your Dog is ok!!

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Keep peroxide on hand for cases like this. I promise you if you pour it down the dogs throat it will vomit. Hope its OK

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    I think she will...I will go take her into the vet again if she doesnt get better here in a few days!

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.