If I learn how to play tennis, what can I accomplish as a rookie adult?

I'm 19 years old, and I've never played any sports outside of gym class...I want to learn how to play tennis. I don't expect to ever be a professional. But I'd like to play competitively someday. I need to get in shape first. I'm 5'2", twenty pounds overweight, and my muscles...are... show more I'm 19 years old, and I've never played any sports outside of gym class...I want to learn how to play tennis. I don't expect to ever be a professional. But I'd like to play competitively someday.

I need to get in shape first. I'm 5'2", twenty pounds overweight, and my muscles...are pathetic. I can hardly lift heavy boxes. I don't think I'm ready to try tennis lessons...What kind of training should I start with? What types of abilities and physical assets should a tennis player have?

And what are my chances of ever playing competitvely? I gave up tae kwon do because the environment was too laid back...I don't want a light workout--I expect to be challenged and even have the opportunity to compete against advanced players.

I plan to start college in 1 or 2 years. I don't think I'd be ready to try out for a team...and wouldn't colleges rather recruit high school players--not rookie adults? I live in the U.S. Are there any teams or programs for adults at any level?
Update: Also, please note that I can't devote my entire life to tennis (I have family...a fiance...and a full time job). But I'd be willing to travel.