How do you prevent water in a hydration pack from freezing when on the slopes?

I have a friend that has the "Camelbak Thermal Control kit" and it doesn't work at all. I find that even when blowing the water back into the reservoir, there's still enough water that stays in the valve to freeze solid. Besides taking a drink every 30 seconds, what are some some tips to keep the water in the hose/ mouthpiece from freezing? Also, would anyone here recommend just bringing a water bottle in a backpack?

• Wayner
    Favorite Answer

I do not use Camelbaks at all for this very reason (most of my outdoor activity is done up high where it's cold, even in the summer). A wide-mouth nalgene bottle works best.

I had the same problem for years. The Thermal Kit helped, but the nozzle still froze. I replaced the regular bite valve with a valve that has a shut-off valve you can close by hand. I tuck that part into my chest pocket on my ski coat. That usually does the trick. I still have to blow the H2O out of the hose.

If you have a Camelback you can wear under your coat...that might help, but then you are digging the nozzle out from under your jacket. That's a pain too...but the hose won't freeze.

A Nalgene in the backpack works well too. You can get a coozy to keep the Nalgene from freezing...but I've only been skiing once where the bottle got to the point where it was freezing solid while I was skiing.

I'm getting a new coffee cup sized thermos with a locking, spillproof lid for Christmas. That'll most likely be the end of my Camelback use...but who knows.

You can always fill the Camelback up with 100 proof Vodka. I doubt that will freeze and you will make new friends quickly.

I also found that the thermal protection doesn't work. I took sips every run just to make sure the ice cleared.

If you are carrying a pack, then just toss a water bottle in there as well.

try wearing the camelbak under your jacket