Is it normal that my 2 year old son plays with himself?

ok my son is 2 years old and he's always been above average. he's been walking since he was 6months and been talking since about a 3 months after that and can say all abc's knows his address and phone # just incase and doctors want to get an IQ test when he turns 3, i'm proud of him in all but i jus... show more ok my son is 2 years old and he's always been above average. he's been walking since he was 6months and been talking since about a 3 months after that and can say all abc's knows his address and phone # just incase and doctors want to get an IQ test when he turns 3, i'm proud of him in all but i jus have a question about something.

my son when he's alone he plays with himself and he well.. he gets hard or what not and he knows that he's not sopposed to be doing it cause he hides and when catch him he hurrys and hides under the covers. it just got to the point he just goes and hides so we wont find him. he don't do it all the time but he does it enough. oh yeah and got to the point when we catch him he gets mad and tells me leave his room. i talk to him every time he does it that he's not to do it but it dont work, tha doctor says it's may be just a phse he's going through. is this what's going on or is this come along with being above average?
Update: i don't let him watch much tv and i really don't know where he may get it from.
Update 2: my son will not do it in the public only when he's home.
Update 3: so do girls do it at this age too?