dawn asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

Who started the practice of tipping for service?

As We know, The British don't tip anything like people in the USA and we are frequently reminded about it.

So, why do we give tips to specific trades and why?

Anyone who says that it is to top up a poor basic salary doesn't realise that (for example) a Cabbie I know earns £30,000 ($60,000 approx) per annum BEFORE TIPS!

Favorite Answer

The term 'tip' comes from signs that used to be put in pubs etc. in London many years ago.

It was a way of getting the attention of the barman, by offering a 'tip' before getting the service you required.

And the word itself Too Improve Promptitude (TIP). QED

• I don't know, but I'm with the British. We tip everybody for everything, and I'm getting fed up with it. I even have to tip the Fed EX guy who makes more money than I do!

I think tipping serves a very important purpose. If you go to a busy restaurant with a waitress serving several tables, getting requests left and right - more water, where's my soup, need a different dressing, where's my food, can you change my order, can I get a refill and on and on and on - she'll get burned out, frustrated and say who cares if he has to wait a few more minutes to get his check, can't he see I have tables to serve? Instead she'll be hustling and thinking "oh sh** I better move my butt or else I won't get a good tip." It's a win-win situation for all involved. You get what you pay for. Of course businesses want to keep costs down to attract the most customers. Tips cost them indirectly since their customers pay more and they don't get a cut of it, but obviously it helps their business by making their servers perform much more efficiently, especially for us demanding Americans who are not always as polite and patient as our British counterparts :)

• i cant speak for the americans or british as i'm irish but i do tip waitresses and hotel staff and cafe workers and anybody who i think is on a low wage. i dont tip council workers (they've a job sewn up for life plus they're paid a very decent wage for something i could do in my sleep for less money without the option to strike for more money and i pay tax and rates for their cushy jobs anyway) i dont tip bus drivers or taxi drivers. most bus drivers are just ignorant bastards and as for taxi drivers i dont trust them!. shop assistants in electrical retailers or computer shops if they can give me a discount for cash i'll split the difference with them for their own pocket. nobody ever tips me as a labourer and i get a shite wage, the "skilled" workers always get the prime cut of beef, i get the scraps.

Source(s): bitterness
  • tips were origionally given by `nobles` to their staff and tradesmen on boxing day.

the modern practicse of tipping is continental european in origon.

It DEFINATELY wasn't me! I'll tell you THAT right NOW! j/k......I like the answer about the nobelmen and their staff, I'm giving it a thumb!

Well is was not the Jewish race, it was done mainly by the romans, tipping was not money, It was things like salt and perfumes made from flowers........Jason W

Americans.........they are even taxed on ththe tips....but a great question. Have a star.

• ?

Probably the mexicans..

I don't know, but i'm with Mr pink on this one.