What is a Wozzeck and where did the word come from?

A newcomer to the Oxford Dictionary, a Lancashire man claimed to have invented the word in 1970's, but I have heard it since the 1930's in Cumbria, or Cumberland as it was called then, usually someone was calling someone a stupid wazzeck who had done something really stupid.

I always spell it "Wazzock" or "Wassock".

I'm not sure I can explain what it means - it's just a derogatory term for someone who has annoyed you!

Maybe someone a bit simple....

I don't know its origin but I found this:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=waz...

There was a record in the 1970s (I think) called "Capstick comes home" by Tony Capstick, and in it he calls his wife a "Spawny Eyed, Parrot-Faced Wazzock". It was a really funny record.

• Ollie

Hi,i had to check it out Found a opera called Wozzeck by

Alban Berg 1885 - 1935

A Wazzock is the same as an "eejit" in Scotland. A wee person who is totally thick!!!!

wazzock comes from the word wiseacre

a wiseacre is one who pretends knowledge or cleverness, a smart alec (like me, who although have used this word growing up in Lincolnshire didn't know where it came from till I googled it)

Wiseacre comes from Middle Dutch wijssegger, "a soothsayer,"

gordon bennet, this googles good innit

irritating