Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Would it be safe to surround my fish's tank in a bucket of warm water in order to raise the temperature?

Male Beta. His tank water is pretty cold, and I need a way to warm up his tank without spending any money. Please and Thanks for all help.

Favorite Answer

Well, if you do it properly it will be safe. But if you just put the water in redo it so his tank is the right heat. If it's usually that cold leave him because he is used to it.

Your Betta is a tropical fish. He needs a constant temperature of 76-82 degrees F. Just surrounding your tank with warm water will temporarily raise the bettas water, but then will quickly lose heat. Temperature fluctuations will stress your fish and possible cause illness.

Consider the money you are spending on water and heating it up. Then go buy a proper heater for your fish.

I also have a male beta, and I found myself in that same situation. I found a cheap (5 dollars) tank heater that works great. The only thing is you have to use one of those little thermometers with it. But it was cheap and works great!

• .

It would work in theory as long as you were able to keep the outside water at a constant temperature. If not it would cool quickly and the fluctuations aren't good for the fish

Source(s): 20+yrs in aquarium hobby

I have a male betta. I just turn a lamp over him on cold days for a little while in the morning and a little bit before bed and that works really well.

it will not work. Try adding some warm water into the tank itself.

you can use an incandescent light bulb or a small heater