I've got no hot water - what's wrong with my boiler?

I've had hardly any hot water this week. It starts off hot in the morning but mid way through my shower, it runs out and the water gets ice cold. The heating is still working fine though and I've checked the boiler and all the switches are in the right place. Any ideas what the problem can be?

Also, are boilers included on house insurance or do you have to pay extra for that? Going to have a look when I get home, but thought I'd just see if anyone knew here.

It's a combi boiler

• Telf
    Favorite Answer

Not a heating engineer, so sorry no idea about the water, but as to the insurance, unless you have a very special insurance policy, no it wont be. They would just regard it as an appliance breakdown.

The only way for your insurance to pay out on it would be if it blew up and took out your wall!

A bit extreme!

You need seperate heating cover, normally from gas engineer/ supplier to cover your boiler.

• Haza

The chances are that your motorised valve is shot. You'll either have 1 of these (called a three port valve) or 2 slightly smaller ones (called two port valves) When you've got 1 on its own, it controls whether the water is sent round the heating system or to heat the hot water cylinder, hence it has two outlets, if this valve is sticking or stuck in 1 position then this will explain why the hot water cylinder is not getting hot enough. If you've got the 2 separate valves then each one has it's own job, either to open for hot water or central heating. In this case the hot water one could be sticking or completely stuck. Either way it's probably worth getting an expert out. They'll be able to diagnose the fault properly and hopefully get you some decent hot water again quickly. Good luck and hope this has helped a bit.

Source(s): HND Plumbing and Heating (North Wales)

I am not an expert but if it is a Combi boiler (One where you do not have to store the hot water, the hot water is created as you use it) it could be that you do not have enough pressure in the system. On the underneath of the boiler should be a pressure gauge. the needle should be between 1.5 and 2. if it is not you need to recharge the system. To do this look at the pipes that go into the boiler at the bottom there should be one that is totally different from the rest. It should be a flexible pipe. at one of the pipe should be a tape open the tap and watch the needle on the gauge. Once it gets to 2 close it again. Keep doing this until the needle is between the figures mentioned earlier. try the hot water now and it should be fine. If it is an emersion heater I am afriad I have no idea.

Rotfl you haven't been all electric before have you? You have been switching the boiler on during the day, probably - when it is supposed to be left on at night! Just try turning it on one night and see if it makes a difference will ya? Especially if your 'heaters' are storage heaters. The idea is it hots the whole tank up overnight and will switch itself off during the day. Look carefully for 2 separate switches - a nighttime switch is what you want. You have been playing with the daytime switch which only hots up the top third of the tank.

Install a low flow shower head. The small in your heating boiler will not provide continuous hot water. You need to add a separate water heater of some type.

Check w/ your Ins.co. on the second part.

IF YOUR HOT WATER IS GENERATED BY YOUR BOILER, THERE WILL BE A HOT WATER HEAT EXCHANGER INSERTED IN THE FRONT OF THE BOILER. THESE START TO PLUG UP OVER YEARS AND DECREASE THE VOLUME OF WATER RESULTING IN A DECREASE IN VOLUME OF HOT WATER. THERE SHOULD ALSO BE A TEMPERATURE TEMPERING VALVE THAT CONTROLS A MAXIMUM HIGH TEMPERATURE OF YOUR HOT WATER. THIS MAY NOT BE WORKING PROPERLY.

BOTH OF THE MENTIONED WILL RESULT IN A DECREASE OF HOT WATER VOLUME. ONE MORE CAUSE COULD BE A DEFECT SHOWER VALVE IF YOU HAVE THE ANTI SCALD TYPE.

YOU SHOULD HAVE A PROFESSIONAL PERFORM AN INSPECTION OF YOUR SYSTEM TO IDENTIFY THE ACTUAL PROBLEM.

BOILERS ARE NOT COVERED UNDER YOUR HOME INSURANCE UNLESS YOU ARE INSURED BY "LOYD'S OF LONDON".

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago -

It was the motor that turns a valve that switches the hot water from the tank (hot water) to the radiators (heating) , the motor had burnt out , as a temporary fix I removed the motor and turned the valve by hand.

wouldnt suggest you do this unless you know what you are doing.

Hope I have helped.

• ells

is your timer on for long enough? Perhaps you don't heat enough water for your shower? Don't think they are covered by house insurance

It could be that the domestic hot water heat exchanger is blocked or scaled up not a job you could tackle your self you need a corgi registered heating eng

The answers you have are guessing, it cannot be diagnosed without at least knowing if it is a combination or conventional boiler, make and model would help immensely.

Source(s): Worcester Bosch accredited installer for www.familygascare.co.uk