7-month-old won't stay asleep at night and doesn't nap long. What should we do?

Okay, so when we tried to let our son "cry it out" at night and let himself console himself to sleep, our parents (living upstairs, since we're in their house) would complain about not being able to sleep, and would spout, "Oh, poor baby! Poor baby!" Now, our son wakes up periodically... show more Okay, so when we tried to let our son "cry it out" at night and let himself console himself to sleep, our parents (living upstairs, since we're in their house) would complain about not being able to sleep, and would spout, "Oh, poor baby! Poor baby!"

Now, our son wakes up periodically throughout the night, but instead of crying and then stopping, the crying gets worse and worse until he's inconsolable and breathes funny (from the constant crying), so we have no choice but to try to console him back to sleep.

Not to mention the fact that he hardly naps for more than 30 minutes, which is the minimum he should be napping during the day.

He should be sleeping through the night, but isn't. If we try to let him cry it out in the middle of the night, he gets worse and becomes inconsolable.

Everybody constantly tells us that we should let him cry during the night until he falls back asleep, but he DOESN'T do that!

My question is, what in the hell should we do to get him to sleep right???
Update: Ms.Informed: What the _hell_ are you talking about? Are you a parent? If not, then you do not understand the stress I'm under right now. I have parents who complain that we're doing everything wrong, yet when we try to do what we know is right, we get yelled at because his crying is keeping them up. The... show more Ms.Informed: What the _hell_ are you talking about? Are you a parent? If not, then you do not understand the stress I'm under right now. I have parents who complain that we're doing everything wrong, yet when we try to do what we know is right, we get yelled at because his crying is keeping them up. The tone in my "little story" is that of a stressed-out parent who just wants some advice. Stop judging and say something useful, or get out. Thank you kindly.
Update 2: We've gone to the Dr, but nothing's wrong. We did try to train him, as Laurdania suggested, but we couldn't finish - my parents complained about lack of sleep due to his crying, so we ended up consoling him every time he woke up, getting him used to the attn. His crying gets so bad that he sounds... show more We've gone to the Dr, but nothing's wrong. We did try to train him, as Laurdania suggested, but we couldn't finish - my parents complained about lack of sleep due to his crying, so we ended up consoling him every time he woke up, getting him used to the attn.

His crying gets so bad that he sounds like somebody is trying to kill him, and is hysterical and it breaks our hearts too. We don't want to traumatize him. Plus, he just got over a cold, and still coughs a lot. We give him Baby Tylenol & Orajel, but it doesn't help all the time.

He sleeps in the same room as us, until we move out (hopefully soon). So we are not getting any sleep at all. My wife is pregnant again and on bed rest, so this is important.

I think we're just stressed out that my parents expect us to fix the problem magically while they get their sleep. They're the main cause of our stress, and our inability to get the sleep pattern right.
Update 3: Ms.Informed: Great, you have links to theories. Do you have any SOLUTIONS or real advice, besides bitching me out? If not, then go away.