promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

if i buy a 9v motor how can i make it go in both directions??

its for a school project, i need it to go in both directions, do i have to buy a special motor or a special switch???

cheers!!

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

If your motor is a simple DC 9v motor you can make it go in both directions by purchasing a DPDT switch (double pole, double throw) and wiring it as follows:

The switch will have six terminal on the bottom.

1 2 3

4 5 6

Take your two leads from the plus and minus side of the battery and connect them to the two central terminals on the switch (2 and 5). Then connect wires from one side of your motor to terminals 3 and 4, and wires from the other side of your motor to terminals 1 and 6. That way, when you throw the switch in one direction the polarity will be the opposite of when you throw it in the opposite direction, so one side of the switch will make the motor run forward and the other side will make it run backward.

You can get a DPDT switch from any electronics store (Frye's, Radio Shack, etc.) Just make sure the switch is robust enough for your current needs. If it is just a little hobby electric motor you are running, just about any DPDT switch will do. If it is a big motor, make sure the switch is rated for the current you will be sending through it.

Good luck.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The Star Trek solution: Reverse the polarity. You can get a switch that does this, and most 9v motors will go both ways. Check the hobby stores.

• Paddy
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

You should use a rotary switch with an off position so the motor can come to rest before starting in the reverse direction, otherwise it might jump off the table.

• 1 decade ago

Just reverse the polarity to drive the motor in the opposite direction. You can buy a crossover switch to do this.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It's not just a rocker switch. All a rocker switch does is make or break a contact. You need a switch that will reverse the polarity so you want a rocker switch that has two sets of outputs.

You can find them in any Maplins store

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&Module...

• 1 decade ago

You could use an H bridge motor driver.

Source(s): I am an engineer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You need to put something together to reverse the power leads going in to the motor. I.e. + to - and - to +.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

turn the battery around..

• SANTA
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

ROCKER SWITCH.

• 1 decade ago

IF YOU HAVE 9VDC YOU CHANGE + WITH -.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.