i want to stop pumping but i feel guilty!?

my son will be 9 months by thanksgiving and i would like to stop pumping. since he was born i 100% pumped because he never could latch on. i weigh about 99 pounds now and i used to wigh 108 pounds before pregnancy. i am loosing too much weight plus it is so hard for me to pump all the time and at work (i work two days a week). i want my son to be healthy and i am doing this for him. i only pump about 16 ounces of milk a day so i give him some formula. his pediatrian told me to stop pumping when my son was 6 months old.

i am afraid if i stop now he won;t be as healthy as if i stop when he is one year old. i feel so lost, worried and guilty that i am giving it a thought especially because i work so hard to just pump 16 ounces a day !!!

thanks

You have put a lot of effort into this. Good for you, but the stress of pumping could be causing more harm then help. Perhaps the time has come to switch over to only formula and solids. Breastfeeding is great, but it isn't the only option, and to do this (pumping) for 9 months is well done, but don't feel guilty about ending this part of your role as mom :) Maybe now you can spend the time you do pumping hanging out with your baby. Feel good about your accomplishment.

I can't say I had any issues with a baby who wouldn't latch on, I actually had the opposite (my girl wouldn't let go, and had an incredible suck, so that by Day 3 I had cracked, extremely painful nipples). I can say that there are people out there to help you. I had to see several different nurses in order to get some sort of help. They all said something different, which was hard as you don't really know what to do and thus are relying on them. Call LLL (La Leche League) and go to a local meeting. They'll have had experience with this same issue and can get help you fix it. If you truly give it 100% committment and your baby doesnt latch, than you should never feel guilty about it. However, there is still a lot you can do before then. She might be getting confused if she's been getting bottles from the get go. I also think pumping will get easier as your body becomes used to it. Your baby is only 10 days old, and will benefit so much from your breastmilk. Even if you aren't exclusively giving breastmilk, some is better than none. I'd just like to give you encouragement to try and work through this. It took 3 weeks for my daughter and I to work through our issues, but we made it 13mths and I was SO happy about it.

First: The choice of expressed milk over formula is totally personal, and your child will not be harmed if you choose to switch to formula 100%.

If you are losing too much weight, maybe you should see your doctor. I nursed my triplets and pumped for them (at one point I was expressing over 80 oz a day) and I thought that is why I was losing so much weight and fast! (I was 142 pre-pregnancy 225 at the end of my pregnancy and dropped down to 118 by the time the kids were 6 months old). It turned out I was losing weight because of a thyroid problem (Graves Disease) which is apparently more common than I realized post pregnancy. My case resolved itself, but it was unrelated to my nursing so often. I was nursing or pumping constantly. At 7 months old I decided to supplement more with formula and my kids turned out fine and over two months I stopped pumping completely. It was hard for me emotionally to not have that connection of them nursing, but you have been pumping this whole time, so it is more of an inconvenience for you than an emotional connection. I chose to pump because breast milk is best, but it was such a foreign and uncomfortable process I didn't much care for it, and I can see how you feel. Please make the choice that makes you feel happy, as that is most important since you child will be healthy either way. Once you change, you will have to not second question yourself.

Breast milk is healthy for your baby. There is no doubt about that. The longer your child has breast milk, the better, certainly up to close to 2 years old. That said, you ahve a choice and you need to think of all your options and reasons and make the decision that works best for you and your baby. Many, many breast fed babies are not breast fed by the time they are 9 months old. They do fine and there is nothing wrong with giving your baby formula at this point, from most people's perspective. It sounds like you have worked incredibly hard to ensure that your baby be fed breast milk and I think you have done a great job pumping for all these months. Give yourself a break.

• Yes breat milk is best for baby but honey you have done your best. Its great that you have stuck with it for as long as you have. I stopped at 6 months. My daughter was born tongue tied and they clipped it so she never latched on and I pumped and pumped for 6 months and finally after only getting a little bit a day I STOPPED and she is fine on formula. She took right to it and her weight is great. At 9 mths your baby should be eating more solids and drinking less milk. Dont feel guilty your baby will be fine and it will take a stress off you!

Honey, please don't feel guilty. You have given your son more than most. Most people say the first six weeks are the most important for breastfeeding. Some say up to two years. You have to feel comfortable with your decisions. You also have to be concerned about your health as well, for if you are not healthy, who is going to care for your son? Slowly decrease your pumping, over a two week period or more if you feel inclined to go longer than that. Loosing that much weight, as small as you are, isn't doing you any good at all. Take care of yourself, so you can care for him.

Source(s): Mother, Former Breastfeeder and Nurse

I breastfed my first baby for 11months exclusively. I had 2 more kids that I bottlefed formula only. My 2 that were given formula are healthier than my breastfed baby! If you feel that you have done the best you can and that you are doing what is right for you and your family, then stop pumping. If you feel that you are taking away from your son and that you are harming him by not pumping, then don't stop. This is a personal choice that only you and your pediatrician can make.

my god that is a long time to pump! cootos to you girl! I am a mom to a 4 month old son and sometimes I dont' want to breastfeed. Well, I do, but not as much. I feel like a cow. I have a boob hangnig out of my shirt, my nursing bra comes undone in the store. I nurse him while shopping, while company is over. I feel like a nursing cow. Not sexy at all. Sometimes at night when I want to just roll over on my stomach and sleep and I have to lay on my side (no matter how groggy I am) so he can eat.... I get weary of feeling like a milk machine. I noticed the other day that my hair is not as perfect and I am choosing more casual shirts. I look in the mirror and I just see a milk machine that is kinda pretty... dont' feel sexy at all! I like nursing. I like that bonding. I like those moments. But I SOMETIMES, I just get that feeling that I would like my body back. There is once or twice a day I feel like saying 'milk shop is closed right now', lol... You PUMPED for 9 monhts. That is amazing. Good for you girl!!!

Oh goodness just put the child on formula now- you gave him a really good start with pumping for that long. Most women who exclusively pump can't last that long. You did a good job and now can take a break from that part of parenting.

Why are you putting so much pressure on yourself???? Doc says it's ok.....do it!! You'll still be a good mom, i promise. Besides....in just a little while, you're going to be introducing foods and then, watch him take off. Kids are so funny when they're learning to eat new things, make lots of faces. Rice cereal is good to start with because it is the least of all foods that might cause an allergy. After rice, start adding fruits and veggies, but usually only one a week. Too much too quickly can be overwhelming. Good luck.....have fun!! And you start eating too!!!!!!