What do the Scottish people REALLY think of the Braveheart film?

What parts are an embarassment and what parts were acceptable?

Thanks.

• Jock
    Favorite Answer

I went along to see the film exactly for the purpose for picking the holes in it. Sure it has so many holes in it, and some of the dialogue is incredibly crumby, but as a piece of entertainment it does stand up well & the message it put across was really powerful.

I know when it first came out in cinemas in Scotland there were supposedly some English people being attacked in cinemas, and that is unfortunate.

The biggest impact it had on my life was that my wife was a fan of the movie as well & that's how we got to know each other. She is from Brasil & contacted me because she knew I was a fan of the movie & wanted to know more aobut Scotland. You can read our story below!

I think its a very romantic and entertaining film. It is just full of historical inaccuracies: Wallace was just one of the heroes of the occasion, Douglas and other notaries of Scottish society also figure heavily in the battles and politics of the time.Edward II's wife was about ten when they married, which would have made the romantic relationship between her and Wallace either impossible or certainly distasteful, Whether you are Scottish or English I think the truth is much more powerful than the fiction and the achievements of all involved was quite driven and remarkable. It really doesn't need the Hollywood treatment to gloss it up.

• Xerces

Mel Gibson's Scottish accent was a bit dodgy and it was a bit historically inaccurate, but generally the majority of us Scots think it's a good film.

It's a good story well told, and it has done a lot for the tourist industry in this country.

• John W

As far as I'm concerned, it's a great film that should help the IRISH tourist board a lot.... It was mostly filmed there!! (That was a disgrace!)

As far as the embarrassing bits, the accents were a bit iffy, but good attempts.. the only thing it did get right is that the Scottish people have resented (even Hated!) the english due to some of the things that were shown in this film..

Just a small point here. Scotland has only had a say in it's own running since the english gave us the right to have MSP's and the Scottish Parliament.

It has been a disgrace that up until that point we were NOT living in a democracy (The Scottish Sec - who controlled the entire country, was appointed by london, he/she was NEVER voted into office by voters!)

Scotland does not want to abolish the Union, far from it.. But we would love to become EQUAL partners!! with the right to affect our own destiny...

It anger's most Scot's that the Irish got to choose and we are not deemed good enough by london to get the same privilege!!

The film was great, a very enjoyable story, incredibly well made, specially the battle scenes. It was also moving and gave a great portrayl of a hero.

However, it was stunningly inaccurate historically. The French princess he was supposed to have an affair with did not arrive in England till he was dead and was only 12 years old.

As far as can be established Edward I did not hurl any of his son's gay lovers out of a castle window.

Source(s): knowledge of UK history

All parts Mel Gibson is in are the embarassment.

Mel Gibsons accent , Scottish accents are hard to imitate , but apart from that i really liked it

All related to Mel gibson

The accents are embarrassing apart from that it's a quality film!!

• ross x

I liked the way the Irish were portrayed. I have no idea if it was true or not, but I'd like to think we would help our fellow celts.