Does a wireless router give out a signal when no computers are connected to it?

In my home there is a Wireless ADSL router, which my dad's computer (about 50m away) connects to from outside. Because of the suspected harmful effects of the wireless signal, I want to minimise the effects of the router while my dad's computer is off, and for this I want to use an ethernet cable (which... show more In my home there is a Wireless ADSL router, which my dad's computer (about 50m away) connects to from outside. Because of the suspected harmful effects of the wireless signal, I want to minimise the effects of the router while my dad's computer is off, and for this I want to use an ethernet cable (which connects into the back of the router) for the various computers in the house.

So, my question is this. If I have the router on but am only using my ethernet cable to connect to it, is it sending out a signal?