Tenants Rights in regards to OPEN HOUSE & property being sold?

Last night (thursday night) we found a letter in our mail advising us that not only had our rental property been put up for sale, but that there is also going to be an "open house" this saturday at 11 am. We rang our real estate, they aplogised for not calling us about it but pointed out that as we'd... show more Last night (thursday night) we found a letter in our mail advising us that not only had our rental property been put up for sale, but that there is also going to be an "open house" this saturday at 11 am. We rang our real estate, they aplogised for not calling us about it but pointed out that as we'd been given a 'technical' 48hrs notice (more like 40hrs) we could do nothing.

The property is going to be on the market for 6wks, and during that time the real estate said they "will be having an open house every saturday morning, and also that (we the tenants) will have to allow inspections by prospective buyers during the week at only 24hrs notice also"

The pretty much advised us that we have no rights in the way of a rent reduction, even with the severe inconvenience we're being put to. They said we are allowed to refuse the weekly inspections however must sort out a 'more convenient time' instead of just flat out refusing. We're utterly furious, we've had to cancel our plans for
Update: saturday, and will probably have to do so many times over the next 6 weeks. We will have to keep the house completely spotless (very difficult, as I am NOT the 'tidy' type) for inspections at literally a day's notice. However, the real estate claims we are 'not being inconvenienced outside the... show more saturday, and will probably have to do so many times over the next 6 weeks. We will have to keep the house completely spotless (very difficult, as I am NOT the 'tidy' type) for inspections at literally a day's notice.

However, the real estate claims we are 'not being inconvenienced outside the terms of our contract' which states that, should the property be put on the market, that "the landlord can show the property a reasonable amount of times, with reasonable notice on each occasion" - huh? what does that mean?

OK so basically my partner and I want to know our rights here. It seems we can't break our lease and leave, cant get a rent reduction, and are basically going to be trampled all over by these people. Is there anything we can do????

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks :)
Update 2: PS we're in Australia, but would welcome anyone's advice be it legal or from your own experiences with this.
8 answers 8