Why do some CHRISTIANS want to mandate prayer in public schools?

Doing so would force my child to adhere to the behavioral standards of the Christian faith (i.e. personally addressing the Abrahamic "deity" and the "messiah" Jesus with reverence). Why is it acceptable, according to those who want "prayer back in school", for a secular insitution... show more Doing so would force my child to adhere to the behavioral standards of the Christian faith (i.e. personally addressing the Abrahamic "deity" and the "messiah" Jesus with reverence).

Why is it acceptable, according to those who want "prayer back in school", for a secular insitution like the public education system to require children to participate in such a religious observance? How is it not a violation of the U.S. Constitution, which guarantees religious freedom, if/when the government sanctions a practice which requires ALL students to recognize and "communicate with" a religious concept, namely Yahweh?

After all, government mandated prayer in public schools fails the Lemon test, so what possible valid arguments might there be to require children to pray to God during their public schooling? Isn't it my right as a parent to choose NOT to raise my child as a Christian? Why should the public schools be able to interfere with that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_test
Update: And who didn't expect a few people to turn this into some sort of partisan bickering? This isn't about "liberals", folks... and it's not about "but there'd been prayer in schools for sooo long!". Just look up "religious freedom" and "Lemon test". Go ahead. ... show more And who didn't expect a few people to turn this into some sort of partisan bickering? This isn't about "liberals", folks... and it's not about "but there'd been prayer in schools for sooo long!". Just look up "religious freedom" and "Lemon test". Go ahead. I'll wait.
Update 2: User "odds10to1", just because you think it'd be "good for kids" doesn't mean it would be CONSTITUTIONAL.
Update 3: Get a Grip, it doesn't "inhibit" religion. It's an individual's right to observe certain religious rituals and obey certain standards, but it's not the government's right to enact laws that would require EVERYONE to worship in the same way (or to worship at all). By mandating school... show more Get a Grip, it doesn't "inhibit" religion. It's an individual's right to observe certain religious rituals and obey certain standards, but it's not the government's right to enact laws that would require EVERYONE to worship in the same way (or to worship at all). By mandating school prayer, the government would INHIBIT my child's right to have the government keep it's nose completely out of his religious preferences and observances.

And by the way, kids can still pray or "do what they need to do" to stay "true" to their faith so long as it doesn't significantly deter from the educational atmosphere. Again, individuals enjoy that freedom. It's just not constitutional for the government to require my child to pray to any god.
Update 4: P.S. When I say "it doesn't inhibit religion", what I mean by "it" is "not allowing the government to sanction prayer in public schools". Thought I should clarify to avoid confusion.
Update 5: Get a Grip said: "It seems evident to me you are forcing your belief, or lack of onto a child that may well have their own thoughts." I don't know why you'd come to that conclusion. What I've said is that I'm not raising him to be a Christian and that I want the government to keep... show more Get a Grip said: "It seems evident to me you are forcing your belief, or lack of onto a child that may well have their own thoughts."

I don't know why you'd come to that conclusion. What I've said is that I'm not raising him to be a Christian and that I want the government to keep it's nose out of my child's religious preferences and observances.

Not once did I indicate or intend to indicate an intention to "force" my child to "not believe" like me. I'm not going to raise him as a Christian... I'm also not going to raise him as an Asatruar, a Hindu, a Muslim, an atheist, a Wiccan, a Satanist, a Buddhist, etc. I've answered this kind of question several times: "Atheists, how will you raise your children?"

Basically, when he asks questions, I'll help him answer them as objectively as possible and if he asks MY opinion, I'll give it to him as rationally as possible.
Update 6: P.S. I shouldn't be put in the position to feel that home schooling is my only viable option; if the public education system ever does completely disregard the First Amendment and institutes mandated prayer, it shouldn't be "allowed" or "ignored". It DOES matter that religious freedom is... show more P.S. I shouldn't be put in the position to feel that home schooling is my only viable option; if the public education system ever does completely disregard the First Amendment and institutes mandated prayer, it shouldn't be "allowed" or "ignored". It DOES matter that religious freedom is disregarded and no one should have to either "live with" such an injustice or remove their children from the corrupt system completely.