Is it OK to share a room with a close friend of the opposite sex?

Please can i get a general consencus on this? I am a 20-something female who has a handful of close male friends. They are no more than friends - it's all completely platonic. My friends tend to be mostly male. I am outgoing and very social and a bit of a tomboy. If on a night out or visiting them (as... show more Please can i get a general consencus on this? I am a 20-something female who has a handful of close male friends. They are no more than friends - it's all completely platonic. My friends tend to be mostly male. I am outgoing and very social and a bit of a tomboy.

If on a night out or visiting them (as they may live a distance away), it is more convenient to stay over at their house, they will offer me a bed for the night. Sometimes, I may have to share a room with them as they don't have any spare guest rooms. However, I will always be in my own bed and they will be in theirs.

Is this generally deemed as acceptable? Only I have been told that it would be OK as long as I was in a separate room. I have been told that it is totally not acceptable to sleep in the same room, even if it's in a separate bed and happens very occasionally.

I have been doing this my whole life and now this has completely upset me as I can't see what I am doing wrong.

Please help. x
Update: So, to give a little more info.... the person who is uncomfortable with this is my partner. He says he is fine with most of my friends being male & this seems to be true. This is a part of who I am & always have been - I find it very difficult to think that I can't stay round at my closest friends houses... show more So, to give a little more info.... the person who is uncomfortable with this is my partner. He says he is fine with most of my friends being male & this seems to be true. This is a part of who I am & always have been - I find it very difficult to think that I can't stay round at my closest friends houses anymore (they don't have spare rooms). My partner says that by sharing a room with my friends, it "cheapens" the times he shares a room with me. He is in his late thirties so there is a 10+ year age gap. He is also from a different (westernised) country to me. Could this issue be to do with his generation or culture? I just think he is being unreasonable & cannot understand the reasons he gives when he says it makes him feel uncomfortable. I argue that anytime I stay over, it's for practical reasons - like they live far away & I don't want to travel back in the early hours. I feel like there would be no issue if they were female - can't help the fact that they are not.