In Notepad, can i use the "replace" feature to place a new line / carriage return in a document?

I have a large document with thousands of words, about 20 on each line, seperated by 4 spaces - i want to get them so each word is on a seperate line.

Can i use the replace feature in notepad to replace these seperating spaces with some kind of carriage return character to make them all on one line each?

I've also got ms word so if anyone knows if it can be done in this software, that would be just as good.

Thanks folks!

Peace

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

You can't do it in Notepad, but very easily in Word.

1. Select: Edit/Find then go to the Replace tab. On that screen, you may have to press the button that says "More"

2. Click onto the Find What field, then click the "Special" Button at the bottom of the Window. Select "White Space."

3. Click onto the Replace with field, then click "Special" Button again. This time, select "Paragraph Mark."

4. Click the "Replace All" Button. The job is done.

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

In Notepad, can i use the "replace" feature to place a new line / carriage return in a document?

I have a large document with thousands of words, about 20 on each line, seperated by 4 spaces - i want to get them so each word is on a seperate line.

Can i use the replace feature in notepad to replace these seperating spaces with some kind of carriage return character to make them all on one...

Source(s): notepad quot replace quot feature place line carriage return document: https://shortly.im/HDmFK
  • boyd
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Notepad Replacer

• steve
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

If you're using 'Notepad++' you can also do this --

1) Search menu

2) Replace command

3) Add space in 'Find what' field

4) Add --> \r\n <-- in 'Replace with' field

5) Select 'Extended' in 'Search Mode' area.

6) Press 'Replace All' button.

You can also bypass Step 1 and bring up the Replace dialog box by using the 'Ctrl+H' key combination.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • aresee
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

If you've got Word, then copy and paste into Word then you can set up a macro to create the line break, though it would be just as quick to use Ctrl and the cursor key to get to the end of each word and just enter to move down.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Easiest way in Word is just to hit Ctrl-H (for "replace") then in the "Find what" box type four spaces and in the "Replace with" box type "^p". "^p" represents the paragraph mark. Every occurrence of four consecutive spaces will be replaced by a newline. Then just copy it back into a text file or "Save As" a text file.

• Susan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Guys are totally clueless about women and what they really want. A guy thinks with the wrong head always. If he thought about how to make a woman happy, with the shoulder head, the other head would be taken care of without worry.

• 1 decade ago

Use the MS word replace feature.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.