garik
garik asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 decade ago

Do you consider "spicy" to mean the same as "hot" (in terms of taste)?

OK, so "hot" obviously has another meaning (the opposite of cold). Please ignore this meaning! I'm asking if spicy food can always be described as hot.

No, spicy doesn't have to mean 'hot'. I hate hot food as it feels like it's burning my mouth, but I love spicy food - my husband makes a nice spicy curry and it's not at all hot - just warm and full of flavour.

I don't believe so , but if you say spicy to most people they interpret it to mean hot.

here in America ,(my part of it anyway) the most common spicy food that people are exposed to is Mexican and TeX Mex. which tends to be both hot and spicy.unfortunately a lot of people go for the Burn your taste buds off so you cant taste anything else for the rest of the meal spicy.I believe spicy foods should also be flavor full.

Having been exposed to many different types of cuisine ,my understanding of spicy means the depths and layers herbs and spices can lend to a dish.

peace><>

No, spicy doesn't mean hot.

Spicy is the opposite of bland. Pepsi is spicier than Coke. Cinnamon and nutmeg are spicy.

Some pepper sauces are flavorful and spicy. Other pepper sauces are all heat and no flavor.

• Sam G

No.

Spicy to me, means the food has a full flavour of a number of different spices.

Hot means plenty of Chilli powder / green or red chillis.

To me, spicy is definitely not the same as hot.

No, because not all spices create heat. chili does certainly, as does black pepper and ground ginger somewhat. Think of something like a Korma curry - mildly spiced with cumin, coriander (both ground and fresh, they have different tastes)

Spices such as cinnamon, mace, nutmeg, turmeric, aren't hot at all - so the answer is, not all spicy food can be considered hot! If you like the taste but not the heat, omit the 'hot' spices or calm them down with yoghurt, coconut cream/milk or cream. I hope this helps

Well...

I consider something to be "hot" if it is really hot and spicy at the same time. It is hot while it's in your mouth, and you have that same feeling long after you've swallowed your bite.

But "spicy" can just be zingy, not necessarily hot all the way.

Hope I helped. :)

• Debra

I think silverstar was referring to chili. I associate hot with strong spices, like cinnamon and cayenne. I associate spicy with over the top flavor, like chili. Hot is the mouth sensation, to me. Spicy is a taste.

no to me spicy just means strong flavours whereas hot means chilli hot as in lots of heat in the taste of the dish

yea when i think of hot i think of the opposite of cold, when i think spicy i think dried peppers that you get with pizza, for what you are talking about i think of "spicy hot". So 3 separate words/phrases are what I think of.

Not necessarily. If something is slathered in ginger, I'd probably call that spicy; if it's covered in chillies, I'd definitely call that hot! The "burn" factor has to be taken into consideration.