Dog owners in cold climates, how do you keep your dogs warm in the winter when you go out for walks?

For those of you dog owners that live in places that have cold winters or places that are cold all the time, such as New York, Chicago, etc. How do you keep your dogs warm in the winter when you go out for walks? Multiple layers? Is the dog's hair cut or long? I'm from New York, and this is my first dog,... show more For those of you dog owners that live in places that have cold winters or places that are cold all the time, such as New York, Chicago, etc. How do you keep your dogs warm in the winter when you go out for walks? Multiple layers? Is the dog's hair cut or long? I'm from New York, and this is my first dog, and this will be her first winter with me, and I want to make sure she stays warm and comfy during those walks.
Update: Sorry, I forgot to tell you guys, she's a 14 pound 20 month old shih tzu.