Parents moving...Drama?

My mom has cancer. My dad is ten years older & unable to care for her. They found an asst. living facility to move to, but they won't get rid of anything. They think they're going to move from a five bedroom home to a 3 room apartment with all their stuff. And it's an unhealthy amount of clutter at... show more My mom has cancer. My dad is ten years older & unable to care for her. They found an asst. living facility to move to, but they won't get rid of anything. They think they're going to move from a five bedroom home to a 3 room apartment with all their stuff. And it's an unhealthy amount of clutter at that...magazines & coupons going back ten years, old knickknacks of some $$$ value but no function, etc. When I try to help them sell anything they say they are too tired to do all the homework involved and don't trust me to sell it for a good profit. When I try to box things up for goodwill they don't want to give it away. Mom only wants to get rid of Dad's things, Dad only wants to get rid of Mom's things. Now they say today to just leave the house sitting til they die and auction everything off and they don't care about seeing the money after all. How did anyone else get through this phase with their parents?
15 answers 15