Are British spiders getting bigger?

Some of the ones which come into my house are huge! Are they getting bigger or am I just imagining it? I just saw one with a leg span of at least a few inches!

I never kill them, since a tiny spider weighing next to nothing cannot possibly devour a 14 stone man, so I feel quite safe!

At last somebody with common sense when it comes to spiders!!!! It's what I always tell my friends, that the size of the insect is in proportion to the amount of damage they can inflict on us, and also that there's no deadly poisonous spiders (or any other insects for that matter) in this country. Still, they scream like banshees when they see one the size of a 5p, lol.

I think they are getting thinner.

there are far more of those very fragile spiders than I remember before.

I used to live in Scotland and got no spiders at all in the house

• ?

If you're in the USA the spiders could be quite big but in the UK the female house spiders are bigger..but not many spiders are not so big.

A huge one has just walked into my computer room I thought it was a mouse at first glance.

Mmmmmmmm yes looks like they are planning a takeover.

Especially the ones in my house!

• SB

Its not just you!

I've had massive spiders in my house - especially hiding in my wardrobe, not nice!

I always kill them too, I know its mean but they scare me a little!

i have three in my room right now its called the revenge of the killer spiders they are aparantly crossed with the common household and garden spiders

I am convinced of it this year. I had two in on Wednesday and the smallest one was keeping watch while his mate carried of my telly and DVD recorder!

I know, right? They're huge!

I hate the ones that somehow end up in my bathtub, they creep me out!

• puffy

Yes Deffo!! I saw one eat a VW beetle last week!...honest!