Acer Aspire windows xp hangup at welcome screen?

A couple of days ago I got a message saying that I have a virus on my computer and had to download a piece of software, which BTW downloaded itself. On the Add/Remove programs this piece of software comes up as being 11GB is size. Anyway since this happened the laptop has been very slow at booting, with it being unusable past the login screen, only showing the desktop background. With it being slow I have been turning it off by holding the power button, thus causing SCNDISK to run on bootup. Any way, now when I boot up, either in SAFEMODE(tried all options on F8 screen) or NORMALLY the laptop hangs at the blue WINDOWS XP logo screen you see just before where you click for your username. When you press teh ESC key the computer just beeps at me. The laptop is an Acer Aspire 1360 and have tried to use the eRecovery tool (Alt+F10) at post but when I press these keys the computer just beeps and then boots windows normally, then gets stuck. D2D is enabled in BIOS. Any help would be welcome

BTW I cannot get in to Windows, and its not my laptop, a friend of mine has asked me to fix it. He said that a message poped up whilst on the interent saying that he had a virus and that he needed to download this tool.

Favorite Answer

Sounds like whatever downloaded itself either got corrupted or was meant to bloat itself to 11GB...nasty stuff.

What you're going to want to do is either get in there and delete the file and/or run an antivirus/antimalware. Obviously, this poses a problem since you are unable to get into Windows. Not to worry though, there is a solution, however you will need an active internet connection, a CD and a CD burning program that can write a bootable disc (I recommend Nero, which also usually offers free trials which will do the trick). The solution is called Ultimate Boot CD (it is free as well) which allows you to boot to a specialized version of Linux which contains many different tools that can help you with computer issues. In particular, there are Antivirus programs as well as DOS based explorer programs, which will allow you to access your hard drive even though Windows hasn't booted. You will have to figure out where the file is at, but you will be able to get in and remove it and/or scan for viruses and see if it finds it. Hope this helps!

Source(s): Ultimate Boot CD Main Site - http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ Nero 7 Free Trial - http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/nero7-demo.php
  • pelzer

- start up - Run - variety in sfc /scannow (incorporate the gap in the previous the " / ") What SFC does is that it tries to repair or replace serious working equipment data. each and every from time to time this is frequently stored removed from the installation disk, in spite of if it may prompt you for the suited working equipment installation disk. if that is so, then you definately comprehend which you somewhat have significant report corruption or something lacking. Insert the disk if triggered. additionally you may run SFC utilising the Administrator account.

call acer and get them to send you recovery disk.

Me I would go out and buy a xp disk and format and reinstall the system. Don't ever ever download anything that pops up.

lol the 11 GB software you downloaded is probably the Virus, Go to Add/Remove and get rid of it.

Try to repair it using your the CD of your os...

I guess it will work unless you did not change the main setting of your laptop,,,,