what might cause a 94 ford explorer to chok while idling after spark plugs are changed,new oil and air filter?

my truck will start fine but it slows like someone is choking the engin. just changed the spark plugs and new air filter with an oil change. new alterniator. so yeah i cant seem to find the problem? could my timeing be off? well thanks.

Favorite Answer

First off, make this a little more clear, did it have the problem before you did the work? If so and this is what you were trying to fix, it sounds like a bad idol air control valve. If the problem was not there before, make sure all the plug wires are installed correctly, all your vacuum hoses are intact, No wires unplugged from mass air flow sensor and such as that. I dought very seriously it is the timing if it hasn't been tampered with. Also, DO NOT attempt to adjust the idol on this vehicle, you will screw it up, it is factory set and no need for adjustment.

I don't know what you mean by "choke while idling" If you mean it slowly stalls out it could be the idling needs advanced a little or you might want to check the timing (it is a part of the tune up.) Check timing first.

Now that the plugs have been replaced and air filter changed it may be running so good that the clogged fuel filter can't keep up with the new demand.

Start with timing, change the fuel filter, then check the idle.

• Mark N

Have you changed the fuel filter? When you go to the parts store let them look it up to make sure there is only one. It is usually one in the fuel line running from the back to the front, I think it was under the driver on my dads 94 F150, but make sure there isn't one also under the hood in the engine compartment...

• Me

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Probably one of the vacuum lines was accidentally disconnected while changing the plugs and filter.

• You have a mass air flow meter concern this is what controls the fuel since it meters how much air is entering the engine

Source(s): Ford tech

Are you sure the spark plug wires are connected correctly?

• mayben

each and each time a Jonas brother concept creeps into your head hit your head on the wall and say "The Jonas Brothers suck". do this till it sinks in the Jonas Brothers extremely do suck