Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 1 decade ago

Should Yahoo Answers recognise Quality of content?

At present it only recognises quantity via Top Contributor badges) Although there are many worthy T/C's there are many more who only get this 'honour' by uninspiring, mediocre contributions, and many who NEVER ask a question, and only answer to get the 2 points. What's that all about???!!!

You make a good point. Yahoo! absolutely should recognize quality questions--and quality answers. Top Contributor badges leave as quickly as they come--once one gets back to answering in assorted categories, there goes the badge.

The big problem, lately, is that questioners are not going back to select their own best answers to their questions, and this results in the questions going into voting. The problem there, is that many of the voters only read the first answer or two, and select one of them (when actually answer #12 could have been the thorough, factual, even researched answer).

In lower levels, it does pay to ask as few questions as possible, as one is trying to reach enough points to get to the next level (where he or she can ask and answer more). Some top contributors are in lower levels, and are trying to reach higher ones. So, they answer, vote, sign in every day, and try to get best answers.

I only started asking questions when I reached a level where questions and answers were unlimited. To tell you the truth, I ask a lot now--but have a real tough time trying to think up questions that have not already been asked a million times.

Again, you have made a strong point, and a good one. At the bottom of this page, under the flags, you will see a link to '...tell us what you think...'--I think that you should give that a shot. I haven't a clue as to how long it would take for staff to get back to you on it, but it is worth waiting for. :)

All you have stated under your Q is all too true but I doubt much can be done about it as to those who put little if any thought into their answers/contributions let alone pose any Q, let alone the ones who answer for the 2 points. Even more exasperating is the 2 point answers that are one word answers-that really bugs me and horror of horrors I recently was guilty of that. Good thing Y does not deduct for hypocrisy!ha.If it wasn't 4:"30 in the morning on Thur. I would go out in the kitchen and give myself 5 lashes with a wet noodle!

I always try to answer any question with the most intelligent answer possible. Then there are those questions that don't even deserve an answer back because they are horrid and of bad contact. Plus, if someone is seeking out something funny I try to throw that out too. But I got a big SURPRISE this week. I have never had a violation before and then this week I was hit with 4!!!! Where are these people? Are they watching us now? Am I dressed properly? lol!!!

I'd say people like getting points and trying to be a 'Top Contributor' but I think that it is going over the top, with never asking a question and that.

I am aiming to become a top contibutor, but I won't go so supreme and not ask a single question like some of them do to simply get a top contributor badge.

Darren S

• Teejay

I was a TC but lost my badge this weekend. I try to put a lot of thought into my answers. I struggle to come up with questions and only ask very few. I enjoy the interaction with people from various places and the community spirit. If I have a badge fine, if I don't it does not matter. I enjoy being on here answering people like you.

:-)))

Oh, goodness, I'd totally get writer's block if I thought someone was judging my answers. And, to be honest, I don't think any judge can recognize quality 100 percent of the time. Something that may seem like a sucky answer to the judge may be EXACTLY what the asker wanted. Or it may trigger something else.

(-: Let the gamers game, and let the people who want to give considered advice keep doing so. There's always thumbs-down for the really stupid and dangerous answers.

• buns

Quality - just like beauty - is different to each individual. I have seen informed helpful responses to questions never get any recognition - whereas a quick quip to the same question get thumbs up and best answer - so how do you see judging for recognition taking place? - will everybody have to become sarcastic, or witty, or boring with factual evidence - there can be little comparision between these things, yet each will appeal according to how you are feeling that day.

You do get extra points for giving best answers and getting thumbs up, so there is some recognition of that. You can also see someone's best answer fraction, although a lot of people have high ones because they answer only questions with very few other responses. I do agree that there should be some way to get positive points by asking good questions. Maybe one point for every two stars your question gets.

• Maybe there should be a point system for quality questions and answers and one for quantity....but then the rude,stupid, idiotic and inappropriate questions and answers would want their place on the page too....so jamino, I dont know what the answer is...but I gave ya a star anyway! ☺ ♥ ☺

I so agree with you, it seems it is also the case that good answers are often dismissed or thumbsed down massively because they conflict with the majority opinion on an answer or upset a rather childish asker.