I connect wirelessly via a Bt homehub. tonight I can connect to hub but not internet. how do I fix this?

I have connected since buying the laptop new last Friday but suddenly today the connection goes and im connected to the hub but not the net. Im a total technophobe but have tried everything I could think of with no success. Can anyone help with a bit of an idiots guide for me? I cant connect via the ethenet in the... show more I have connected since buying the laptop new last Friday but suddenly today the connection goes and im connected to the hub but not the net. Im a total technophobe but have tried everything I could think of with no success. Can anyone help with a bit of an idiots guide for me? I cant connect via the ethenet in the meantime as my yellow ethenet cable wont slot into the new laptop - Please help if you can!
Update: I have now tried resetting the homehub, the wireless connection and restoring the system. The ethernet socket im trying DEF is the right socket (3 little square symbols on it) as there is NO other socket that even looks like it might fit the cable but it doesnt. Ive mailed pc world - no answer and I STILL cant... show more I have now tried resetting the homehub, the wireless connection and restoring the system. The ethernet socket im trying DEF is the right socket (3 little square symbols on it) as there is NO other socket that even looks like it might fit the cable but it doesnt. Ive mailed pc world - no answer and I STILL cant connect wirelessly. Thanks for everything so far but still no nearer to solving :-(
Update 2: Update on this is that it still isnt sorted. BT have tried everything they can to sort it and thought it was the wireless adaptor on my laptop. I was advised to uninstall this from the laptop, to then reinstall and it would connect fine. This was confirmed by pc world. I tried it - same problem still. Something... show more Update on this is that it still isnt sorted. BT have tried everything they can to sort it and thought it was the wireless adaptor on my laptop. I was advised to uninstall this from the laptop, to then reinstall and it would connect fine. This was confirmed by pc world. I tried it - same problem still. Something about the ping not communicating with the DNS server.
Any ideas anyone?