Mike
Lv 4
Mike asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 1 decade ago

Has anyone seen the movie "Titus" with Anthony Hopkins?

I was considering getting a copy. I'm a big Shakespeare fan, and like Hopkins' acting ability. I was wondering if this film is worth buying. Is it an accurate adaptation of the play? Is it well done?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

Titus Andronicus is a great play, and Julie Taymor's Titus starring Sir Anthony is great, but not really an accurate adaptation. It is very stylized with techno music, vast landscapes & elaborate costumes.

I would recommend this film to anyone who is just a Shakespeare or a Hopkins fan, but not to someone who needs to do a paper on Titus Andronicus.

Julie Taymor, the director, won praise for her direction of the Lion King on Broadway. She also directed Frida with Salma Hayek, and most recently the upcoming Across the Universe, which looks amazing. Taymor also directed a successful production of The Magic Flute for the Metropolitan Opera. Taymor directed the opera Grendel for the Los Angeles Opera and the Summer 2006 Lincoln Center Festival in New York City. Taymor's next project is to be a musical based on Spider-Man, with music by Bono and The Edge from U2.

Titus stars Sir Anthony Hopkins and Jessica Lange, with Alan Cumming, Colm Feore, James Frain, Laura Fraser, Harry Lennix, Angus Macfadyen, Matthew Rhys, and Jonathan Rhys Meyers.

With Titus, Taymor took Shakespeare's script, added various linking scenes without dialogue (while cutting some of the text) and set the play in an anachronistic fantasy world that uses locations, costumes and imagery from many periods of history, including Ancient Rome and Mussolini's Italy. The selection of music is similarly varied.

Apart from the deliberate anachronisms, the film follows the play quite closely. And although it did not do well at the box office, it was praised for its visual inventiveness and is thoroughly enjoyable.

A hint...don't eat right before watching Titus. Titus agrees to dismember his own hand in return for his son, and the answer to his troubles is really quite disgusting, but cool.

Source(s): some information taken from wikipedia.org
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.