UK: Have the rules changed about opening a bank account? My friend opened one without proof of address?

My friend just opened an account with no proof of address, no job (he's looking for a job earning minimum wages) and the bank manager offered him a silver account with overdraft! I went along to this interview and I could not believe it. I advised my friend against the silver account so he went for a basic one... show more My friend just opened an account with no proof of address, no job (he's looking for a job earning minimum wages) and the bank manager offered him a silver account with overdraft! I went along to this interview and I could not believe it. I advised my friend against the silver account so he went for a basic one without monthly fees. But I was so surprised how can someone open an account without proof of address, is this right?
Update: Radstar LOL! No, it was a high street bank...