UK: Have the rules changed about opening a bank account? My friend opened one without proof of address?

My friend just opened an account with no proof of address, no job (he's looking for a job earning minimum wages) and the bank manager offered him a silver account with overdraft! I went along to this interview and I could not believe it. I advised my friend against the silver account so he went for a basic one without monthly fees. But I was so surprised how can someone open an account without proof of address, is this right?

Radstar LOL! No, it was a high street bank...

Favorite Answer

Sounds dodgy!

All financial institutions run checks on people, but they need evidence of who you are to do this.

The manager needs to go back to school.

Proof of address can exist in a number of forms, for example a letter from your new GP (or the NHS), a letter from the Inland Revenue (ask for your NI history for example or confirmation of notification of resuming UK residency), a letter from the DWP (have you applied for JSA or ESA?), or an attestation from the owner/renter of the property you're living at (presumably your father). The latter would probably go a longer way if you're applying for an account at a bank where your father is a client. Also look at the "proof" lists provided by banks carefully. The Halifax and Co-op are reputedly more flexible than most banks. Also consider the Post Office. Good luck!

Bank managers don't open accounts as a general rule - it is something left to a minion. And with what funds did your 'friend' open this account? There are rules in the UK for opening accounts - the institution is liable if the money is found to be stolen or otherwise connected with crime. Would you like to name the bank and the branch you went to?

what you have stated is a virtual impossibilty no bank can open a account until proof of address and proof of ID. the bank may take details at a interview but before the account is opened you will have to provide the proofs. what in fact you attended was a prelim interview and further investigations will be made believe me

Everytime iv opened a bank account, iv needed to show proof of address, to show them i am who i am !!

Was the bank's branch a caravan in the middle of the town centre?

• Goldy

" Where and Which Bank " tell us All?

the futures bright...