What is the the Jesuit maxim "Give me a child for for his first seven years and I'll give you the man"

Is this maxim from a Jesuit source?

Does this maxim originate in Balthasar Gracian's writings or before or after this time (17th C)?

Does the Jesuit influence encapsulated in this maxim have any relevance in the French Revolution?

I love the life of quotes. I have seen this several dozen different ways, some to praise the Jesuits and others to condemn them. Most authors use the word "alleged" when attributing the quote to the Jesuits or one of their members -- St. Ignatius of Loyola, the found of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) or St. Francis Xavier, first missionary to India who assisted Ignatius in the formation of the Jesuits.

"Give me the child, and I will mould the man."

"Give me the child for seven years,

and I will give you the man."

"Give me the child until he is

seven and I care not who has him thereafter."

"Give me the child till the age of seven

and I will show you the man."

There is a great documentary on the subject with an accompanying book: "7 Up: 'Give Me the Child Until He is Seven, and I Will Show You the Man'" by Michael Apted, Bennett L. Singer who have followed their subjects for nearly forty years with subsequent films and books.

Baltasar Gracian was a Spanish Jesuit scholar who lived from 1601 till 1658.

The French Revolution began in 1789. From all accounts the most influential Jesuit was Henri Gregoire, considered the most educated of the cures because he had traveled further from their small parish which gave him a broader knowledge of the world. An award-winning essayist, he helped draw up the civil constitution of the clergy, considered the single most important passage in his life. However there has never been any evidence to indicate the Jesuits were directly involved in the Revolution.

For more information, see:

A History of the French Revolution

by Henry Morse Stephens

http://books.google.com/books?id=i6MNAAAAIAAJ&pg=P...

Here are some Baltazar quotes...

http://www.wingo.com/opinion/baltasar.html

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is this maxim from a Jesuit source?

Source(s): jesuit maxim quot give child years 39 ll give man quot: https://shortly.im/sJDpd

Famous Jesuit Quotes

Depends on how old the child is. I plan on having this discussion with my daughter when she is 9 or 10. She's about to be 8. If she were younger I would say that it's what 2 adults do when they love each other and that's about as far as I would go for now.

It is a quote ascribed to Saint Francis Xavier a founder of the Jusuit order whether or not this had any connection to the source to speak of I do not know...but Francis Xavier was born before the 17thC.

Have no idea what a connection would be with the French revolution.

Source(s): Went to school of the same name....

Give me the child, I will give you the man. This was said by Ignatius Loyola,later elevated to sainthood, who was the founder of the jesuit order.

Give me the child for his first seven years and I ll shag him senseless.

No.