Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 1 decade ago

is it okay to have at least 1 or 2 AP classes?? will tht little help you?

im going to be a freshman in high school. and im trying out for the tennis team. and i dont kno if i can handle AP classes if i make the team. also i have all honor subjects.

and my mom isnt working right now. she's look for a job as a pharmacist. so my dad's paying for eveything. so i didnt kno tht the AP exam costs money. but anyways i'm thinking i should take AP next year when im more used to balancing my schedule and time?

please GUYS I NEED HELP AND ADVICE.....

ALSOOOOOOO.

DOES HAVING HONORS EFFECT UR TRANSCRIPT????????????????????????????????????????????/

I've taken AP classes before and they are a LOT harder because you are basically taking a college class so if you do make the team... expect some very sleepless nights. The tests usually run at about $85, and if you get a really high score (4-5) they will reimburses you a little I think. You have to get at least a 3 to get any college credit. Some are nearly impossible to ace I've heard, such as the History one. My AP teacher told me that the fact I even took and got a low A in an AP class would still look good to colleges even if I didn't go take the AP class after.

• Donna

2

I would just wait. I didn't start taking AP until sophomore year. I don't even play sports and I still find myself scrambling to finish the work. Besides, you must remember that the AP exams are expensive, and there is a chance you will not pass. I've taken 2 AP exams and failed both of them and I'm considered one of the "smart kids."

So basically, if you really want to work, take an AP class. If not, stick with the basic honors this year. However, you should definitely take a few AP classes throughout high school, for college transcript purposes. I just think it would be too much for freshman year.

you probably don't have to take the AP classes right away, but it is a good idea. taking AP classes can help you out in the long run (assuming you want to go to college)- if you do well on the AP exams. if you have good scores you can actually get college credit or have the classes waived, which would cut book costs and other related charges (so you might be able to save some your parents some money down the line) . on the other hand, if you are good enough at tennis you can prob get a tennis scholarship.

MOST colleges give you credit for AP, Iknow the cost money but in the long run they will save you a lot.

If you are VERY smart and dedicated you can take enough AP classes to turn a 4 year degree into a 3 year degree. Even for cheaper public colleges this will save you close to 10 grand.

You have 4 years to get in as many AP classes as you can, it will save you a TON of money in the long run, putting tests off for a year is simply foolish.

Well since you are just a freshman it would be best for you to wait your junior or senior year so you can kind of get the feel of high school. By those years you will already know what to expect and you probably can get you good little paying job. I'm a junior and luckily we take the AP course for a full year plus they pay for it but it's still challenging! Sooo.. Just wait! Go play tennis and enjoy yourself Hun!

• a-mac

Okay... I think any number of AP classes will be helpful. Obviously, the more, the better! Can you get a part-time or babysitting job this summer to pay for the test yourself???

Good luck on the tennis team!

well, when i was in a an AP class i tried it out for 2 weeks and decided that i had to much other stuff to do so i decided to change my schedule to honors english and it worked better, im takin AP this yr. tho. i say try it out or just go with honors (but i didnt hav to pay for the exam, i guess its different where u live)

You shouldn't be burned out in your freshman year. Just have fun and enjoy it while you can. You can always take AP classes later. You have 3 more years. Enjoy your freshman as much you can. Have fun.

I was in the same situation as you. I was on the tennis team and badminton team. I had to balance my school work with practice. It was very tough. There was a lot of work and practice took a lot out of me. I ended quiting the team because i fell so far behind in my school work. My school wouldn't let me drop out of my ap classes. I ended up quitting school and now cleaning toilet at McDonalds. Good luck and I hope to be your co-worker soon. Later