Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

Are there still wet nurses? Does one need to go to school for this, or do you need a lactation malfunction?

I have big nipples. I think I could do this job well if they're still in existence.

Favorite Answer

Wet nurses still exist, but in today's society filled with STDs and blood-transmitted diseases, it's honestly very rare.

There are no qualifications for such things (you don't get to go to school for it.) and they are usually always privately arranged. I'd be very wary when looking for this kind of job, because the potential for perverts is very high.

The size of your nipples or breasts has nothing to do with your ability to breastfeed, at any rate.

There are also milk banks which accept donations of human milk to be given away or resold. Some may pay for the milk, but most don't.

I am not sure if there is anyone out there who is a hired wet nurse, there are probably some of them out there. Inducing lactation when you have not had a baby is a pain in the butt, very hard and stressful. There are milk banks where people donate their breast milk. I think that the problem with trying to be a wet nurse nowadays will be finding someone who will hire you. People are very "icked out" by the idea of wet-nursing these days, because of how breastfeeding is more looked down upon and the breast is looked at as solely a sexual object. I know a few mothers who breastfed a friend or family members baby when the mother was having problems lactating, but don't know any wet nurses.

I believe so, although they are few and far between. If you can't find a legitimate wet nurse job, I know of a couple of clubs you could work for.

• ?

I think they were poor ladies who already had a baby...they usually produced a lot of milk and made extra money feeding rich kids....

Can I hire you?

gosh, i'm so thirsty....