Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

why do hockey players hate figure skaters?

i used to play hockey and now i do competitive figure skating. when i tell male hockey players this they love it, they say that thats great bla bla, but when i tell female hockey players they look at me like im the plague. why is it that female hockey players hate figure skaters? when i played hockey i didnt hate figure skaters.

girls have also said things like "oh i could do that with my eyes closed" or "anyone can do that" and when they challenged me to a "ice skating duel" as they called it she broke her leg. ahahaha

and dont say that figure skaters are dainty and not tough, cause ice skating takes physical and mental toughness. there is actually a condition that many figure skaters develope becaue they cant mentally commit to what they are doing. you think ok im doing somehting that can kill me. and dont say that we dont work hard cause me and my skating club have to get up a 4 in the morning and practice till 7, we only go to school till 12 so that we can train from 12:30 till 5 then we go to the gym from 5-7 and again on the ice from 7-9

so your comparing 10 and1/2 hours of practice a day to pie baking and beauty pagents.

and how do you know how good you are untill your judged...and you think that there are no judges in hockey ummm helloo you yourself are judging the players.

actually those skin tight short skirts that emphasise the female shape are very aerodynamic and help us when we are jumping and spinning.

Favorite Answer

Cause you take up ice time and it's a waste of such amazing skating ability (at least from our perspective). but then again i think everything non hockey related is a waste

• Jennifer5 years agoReport

ya u are the ones taking up all the ice time.u puck heads would look ridiculous if they tried to take of at speeds up to 30 mph and spin four rotations in the air and land cleanly on one foot. Then while your eyes are still crossed we can ask you which end of the ice you are on.
      ~Washington Post

I am a very feminine female hockey player, and I don't hate figure skaters, I just hate the way their toe picks mess up the ice

• Jennifer5 years agoReport

lol sorry :). Sometimes U hockey players make DEEP wedges in the ice (I almost face planted at the regional skating championships cuz of one) it's ok tho :)

I think a lot of women hockey players have a chip on their shoulder and probably think that going from hockey to figure skating is betrayal.

I would think the good players would say 'hey that's great' because they can understand the challenges of each while I'd expect the marginal players to be the more negative ones.

But if you like it, that's all that matters, right?

Oh wait, I'm a guy. Nevermind. :D

I think this falls more under psychology than hockey. lol

It has something to do with jealousy, if I remember correctly back to my psych courses. Try posting this question there; you'll probably get better answers.

Personally, I don't have a problem with figure skaters...

Contrary to popular belief, competition is not a macho, male concept. Women are the most competitive creatures that ever walked the earth, and it's just another form of competition, especially when it comes to impressing the opposite gender. Female figure skaters show not only skating skills, and ability, but display a lot of their feminine attributes by the attire they wear on the ice. Name one female hockey player who shows their feminine side while covered from head to foot in 20-30 lbs of hockey gear. The guys can't admire what they can't see.

When women play hockey, they are seen by guys as hockey players, period. When guys see female figure skaters in skin tight, short skirted costumes that emphasize the female shape, well, you figure it out.

I'm your opposite -- I started on figure skates, and then I bought myself pair of hockey skates. I can go so much quicker on hockey skates. I mean I still suck at skating, but hockey skates just work better for me. I fall a lot less with my hockey skates. I reckon it's because hockey skates have a stiffer ankle on them. With figure skates, I was all over the place ... well, mostly sitting on the ice after countless falls. I don't hate figure skaters or even figure skating, but I hate wearing figure skates now that I have my hockey skates.

• Jennifer5 years agoReport

Usually the high quality figure skates have an extreme amount of support, but those cost alot

Bret Hedican doesn't. He married one--Kristi Yamaguchi.

Alot of female hockey players, ok, I have to be careful how I say this, alot of female hockey players aren't all that feminine. I am not saying all are, because I know alot of very girly female hockey players, but I know alot more ones that aren't girly AT ALL. I think they think of Figure Skating as a girly sport, and that is why they don't like it. I know alot of pro hockey players marry figure skaters, so it isn't that all hockey players don't like figure skaters, I guess you just talked to to wrong people. I play hockey, and I see figure skating as a completely different sport, although it is on ice, the style is very different than hockey, in the way you skate. I have watch figure skaters alot over the past 12+ years, before practices, or while I wait at the rink, and I see why girls would like it, it is like dancing almost, but with more excitement. I don't think I would be able to be friends with a guy that did it, but that just goes back to what I said about the girls that see you and don't like you, it is like me seeing a guy figure skater, I don't think I would like him, because he is doing a sport that is girly, even if he may love it.

i don't think it's matter of hating but midunderstanding. i used to believe it wasn't a sport or that it was but it was a girly girl sport that degraded women. they wore little outfits and jumped through the air. i just didn't think it was exciting or difficult.

i have come to realize that figure skating is the very difficult and painful. not only does it take time and dedication you have to control your body while spinning though the air and pray you don't land wrong and screw up your leg or something.

i have much respect for the sport and the individuals who compete in it.

My wife and I like to watch it. We like to watch how talented the skaters are.

no matter what girls or guys we both hate figure skating you go from hitting fighting skating hard to doing jumps and spins the ice is meant for hockey not figure skating

• Jennifer5 years agoReport

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/figure-skating-offers-more-physical-challenges-than-ice-hockey/2014/02/13/55d14e4c-94e2-11e3-b46a-5a3d0d2130da_story.html