Want a new broadband supplier where I dont have to pay BT line rental.?

We are moving house in a couple of weeks and I am looking for a new broadband supplier. It narks me off that you have to have a BT landline for most of them (which we dont use) so it seems like wasted money. Are there any packages out there where we can pay the broadband supplier for the line rental aswell? I tried ringing talk talk, and they said we would need to open an account with BT, stay with them for their minimum period, and then we could transfer to them afterwards. We are only in this property for a year due to my husbands work, so I really would rather not do that.

We are looking for 1meg broadband, for a year or less contract, and our new postcode is PE33 9NA.

Thanks. :)

Update:

Damn... just looked at Virgins website.. got all excited.. and then got this..

You can get Virgin Media services wherever you live! Your home is in a non-cable area, so that means you can choose any of our great non-cable services and we'll deliver them down your BT phoneline.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • SKJA
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A check on virgin media website shows your new postcode is not in their cabled area so cant just take their broadband service through a cable line. They can however provide broadband but again you need bt line to connect using the non-cabled option. Click on check your postcode http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/service.d...

Looks like you are stuck with bt line rental if you want broadband as all the other providers insist on bt line, but try here. There is a good broadband check link and all offers by just entering your postcode dont need to enter a phone number http://www.broadbandchecker.co.uk/

• 1 decade ago

if you can get virgin were you are moving to they can supply broadband and you dont need to pay for the phoneline from them or the tv check out www.virginmedia.com and see if it available for you.

as for any other broadband you need a phone line as its the phone line that supplies the broadband .

i work in BT BB tech support.

tiscali still requires a phone line ,ok i might work with bt but im a virginmedia customer and knowing difference between the two give me cable any day

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Virgin Media, it's a cable supplier so need for a BT landline.

• George
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Since you hate BT (who doesn't) and you are not in a cable area, have you considered a GPRS Broadband ? They call them Data Cards too.

It's a PCMCIA card that can sit on your laptop, some do USB ones too.

T-Mobile and Vodafone both do them, depending on how heavy is your usage, you may find the cost acceptable. Or simply ask your Mobile phone provider, they may make it a bundle.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Tiscali and as far as i know you dont have a contract with them you have the option of line rental with BT or them, i am with bt and hate them, i pay at least £120 a quarter and the connection is poor and cuts out and for that price you would expect a good service.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Mobile phone (expensive)?

Satellite connection (still requires a landline)?

BT is the cheapest

You need a phone line to connect in the usual way and that means BT lines. Okay so you have to pay but they have to maintain the lines and exchanges.

Unless you get cable in your area, that is your choice.

• 1 decade ago

we r on virgin , used to be telewest , phone and broadband we dont have bt so try them they r doing good deals at moment if u can get it near you

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Check this http://gsx1.com/CompareBroadband.html

it shouldn't be difficult for you to find something, just stay away from Talk Talk, they are a massive rip off.

• 1 decade ago

virgin media good deals

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

JUST TO SAY I AGREE WITH EVERY WORD YOU SAY, SOD B.T. AND THE RIPP OFF. THEY ARE PART OF THE HUGE CON.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.