What is the scottish, welsh or irish slang for an english person?

The English often call Scots Jocks, Irish Paddys and Welsh Taffys. Whats the word for the English?

Update:

well the English can say scottish, welsh or irish 'pig' or 'bastard'. Thats not really what I'm getting at...

21 Answers

Relevance
  • Jock
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

Most people would think the Scottish word for an Englishman was Sassenach, when in fact this is not the case. Sassenach is a Gaelic word which simply means "Southerner", so to someone from the Highlands, someone in Edinburgh or Glasgow is as much a Sassenach as an English person is.

Southron is a term you don't hear used that often, but that could be used to refer to the English I guess.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 4 years ago

Born in Ammanfod S Wales 1929 grandfather from Devonshire I was Saesneg returning 1996 Saess. Welsh American

• Twiggy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The Scots call the English "Sassenachs". The Welsh and Irish I`m not sure about, but I`m sure that they have some pretty colourful ones !

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Around the world we're known as Limeys, from the days of sailing ships and the fact that we took limes on board to combat scurvy. Pommies in Australia, not sure what the origin is. Sassenach by the Scots, Tommy's also used to be a refernce to english soldiers.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 years ago

I don't think anyone on here, be they English , scots, irish or welsh, should be having a go at each other- we are all British whether you like it or not and we should all be UNITING against Islamic extremists, NOT abusing each other. Generalising against other Brits is very silly. or against any other european country cos they are not the real threat.

• M'SMA
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Sassenachs

• 1 decade ago

Welsh call the English "Sais diawl".

p.s. Taffy is for a south Walian

• 1 decade ago

Obnoxious, they go round calling people names. In Ireland, we call the whole lot of them Brits and that really ticks off the Scots and the Welsh who, quite rightly, don't want to be tarred with the same brush.

Actually, and this is the God's honest truth, we never had to use any other name than English - it's perfectly offensive and you can't improve on perfection. LOL!

• Danny3 weeks agoReport

Superb!!!!!!

• 1 decade ago

Irish call English tic English call the Irish thick Scott's call English see you, English call Scott's jimmy and welsh cal English tourists and English call welsh sheep shaggers.

• 1 decade ago

" mochyn saesneg" welsh for English pig

jocks just use english bastard

Source(s): living in Wales working in scotland
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.