CD123 asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

New goldfish - scales missing?

I bought a goldfish today from Pets at Home, and Ive just out it in its tank but I'm a bit concerned as hes very slow moving, just swimming round the bottom, and looking at his sides he almost looks like a few scales are missing.

I;m not sure if there might be something wrong with him? He looks fine otherwise

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

the water in your tank is probably a different quality to the water in the tank he was in and he is feeling a bit stressed, you can get some stuff to add to the tank water, a kind of destressing liquid, this may help him, otherwise let him be, he will come around, Oh and don't worry about him if he does not feed for a couple of days, once he has settled in he will begin feeding and swimming around and exploring his new surrounding, as for the missing scales, he should grow them back, but if he does not then unless he looks sick don't worry....

• 1 decade ago

My fish were like that. It is likely he has cault a disease from either the water or other fish. If it is the water you can check with a PH tester for 'Hard Water' (sold at most pet stores) there could be chemicals unhealth for fish. If there is some thing wrong in the water the pet shop should sell you a PH balencer that will get rid of any unwanted chemicals. If the fish starts floating/swimming on its side or has uh...waste hanging out of its end go to a pet store and ask if they have live blood worms as your fish may have swim bladder that can be fatel and can I think be passed to other fish through the water. Unless you have any other fish that may in fact be EATING your fish then I don't know whats wrong.

• 4 years ago

I have never seen a pleco attack another fish, and I have tons of them ranging from half inch to 8 inch. More than likely they scraped themselves if you have a lot of decor in the tank or overcrowded First, just give the take some stress coat to help out your gold fish and help them heal and If your convinced its the pleco, maybe not clean the tank so often to promote algae growth or buy some Live plants and use a plant bulb. Goldfish are nasty and poo tons so To decrease the time you need to clean it get some sort of bottom feeder like a catfish or an awesome bottom feeder would be the Featherfin Synodontis <(they swim upside down for fun) :)

• 1 decade ago

He is probably just stressed. Wait a couple of days and then see. My goldfish has scales missing, and he is doing great. It all depends on how big the fish is also.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He is just stressed, keep the light off and dont feed him today. However if you do find him dead make sure you have kept your reciept as Pets at Home will exchange him for a live one.

• 1 decade ago

take him back and check

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.