Chad
Chad asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

Open Immigration Between Developed English-Speaking Democracies?

Would you support open immigration between the UK, Ireland, US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand?

Focal leat: English is also an official language of Ireland. See Article 8 of the Irish Constitution: http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/attached_files/html%20...

CLARIFICATION: With "open immigration" the immigrants would still have to go through criminal background and health screening. The "open" just means there are no quota and no visas/permits required.

Focal Leat: Here, I'll paste the text so you can see it. Article 8, Paragraph 2, of the Irish Constitution: "The English language is recognised as a second official language."

peter k: Your issues really aren't worth addressing. Considering the number of thumbs down you have for your answer and that fact that out of the almost 2,000 answers you've given on Y!A only 6% are considered "Best Answers" I think it's safe to assume that your opinions resonate with almost no one.

• DAR

I'm not sure, we'd have to look into it, but it would likely not impact our schools and hospitals as badly as other sorts of immigration (particularly illegal immigration). However, our various immigration laws aren't the same, and I'm not sure we would approve eachother's immigrants wholesale (those Canada or the UK let in might not be allowed here and vice versa ). For example, the UK is part of the EU. We wouldn't say anyone in the EU (which membership we had no say over) could necesarily come here.

Im from the UK

I can walk into Ireland tomorrow and live there, New Zealand, still classed as a dominion of the UK is not too much more difficult.

Canada and Australia quite rightly want skilled and usefull only and you pretty much have to marry an American to live and work there.

(with record checks, it might be ok. The uk is bursting at the seams and all the other counties have masses of land. I think a few more Brits need to move onto new pastures more easily than they can at the moment)

No, I would not support it. I like the idea, but still think it should be controlled. I agree with the background checks, etc. which in this case would be easier, since the person is a native of another first world country. They are also coming from a somewhat similar standard of living, which would mean that the odds of them migrating just for a better standard of living would be less, etc. My main concern is security, and also the ability of Immigration to self govern, and if you pass any law taking away the quotas, you are tying their hands.

I am American, but I think I would love to live in any one of these places you've mentioned.

Responding to whomever said it does not matter where someone comes from...I'd like to agree with you, but I cannot since where someone comes from can influence their motivation for entering one of these countries. It plays a part in the whole process, so it DOES matter a great deal.

You have to read about our laws concerning legal immigration and the type of people that are legal to come to the USA. Right now we have more people coming to the USA legally than any other country in the world. What we have to do is 'STOP" illegal immigration that is causing us too much money and our system cannot support it. That what we have to do in order to maintain our our high living standards and our top education that is being challenge by the rest of the world. This country was not build by English speaking people only, against English speaking people we fought in order to get our independant. Get your story straight first about the USA before you go further.

No. Under the Irish constitution. Irish is the official language.

(Poblacht na hÉireann) Chad read it again. But Chad that like a little club where by only those who can speak English can enter. It a type of discrimination. Some English on this have mention Canada, Australia and New Zealand. These are Commonwealth countries. Ireland has never been a member of the commonwealth.

If only that could happen! I doubt it ever will. For a start the UK government wouldnt allow it, because the whats left of the of the English speaking ethnic British would up sticks and flit to Australia or to some other developed country where they are not the minority.

The country's you have mentioned may all speak English ,but for sure the US and Canada are overloaded with immigrants from all over, its easy enough as it is for terrorist and drug smugglers etc to walk into Britain, open immigration would I'm afraid only make us more vulnerable, its a nice thought but like our commonwealth long past its sell bye date and should there for be scraped

I haven't noticed England, Australia etc. opening their borders to us. There is a reason almost all countries have quotas and require passports, visas, etc.

I am in favor however of opening our borders to anyone with no tendencies toward criminal behavior who has proven liquidity greater than $700,000 and signs a consent to put most of it into US based investments for a reasonable period of time..

I'm tired of seeing so many who are here legally (forget illegally) sponging off the largesse of family members, friends, or worse -- taxpayers.

BTW-- Do you think we should have open borders for Guyanese?

No.

We need the quotas and checks to maintain a number of immigrants our resources can handle.

Look at the effects illegals are having, unchecked immigration, no matter where the people come from is bad.

In order for our schools and hospitals to effectively do their duty, they need to have reasonable expectations as to population growth, allowing anyone to come here regardless of numbers puts a strain on our economy.

Let them come in in manageable amounts and begin working, at the same time we can adjust to the extra people.

The only benefit we could derive from allowing them in openly would be to counter-balance the illegals who are invading.

That would just make a bad situation worse as our resources would be even further strained, and if they did help us get rid of the illegals then they would be making demands based on us OWING them for "Saving" us.

• john m

No way. If your British try and get into Australia, They talk to you as if you are a leper. British people need to have skills that are needed before they are considered. It is probably the same for the other countries you mention.