Do other animals contract "human" diseases and syndromes, like Down syndrome?

Downs syndrome (trisomy 21) is a genetic disorder. People who have this have 3 copies of the gene numbered 21, (you should only have 2- one from your mom and one from your dad) which causes a "syndrome" of symptoms in humans. Dog's have completely different genes, so no they can't contract it. It is not an infection anyway. Since a dogs bodily systems are so different from humans they rarely contract diseases or infections from people. You can catch things from your dog however, such as poison ivy if he has the oil on his fur, and dogs can carry a staph bacteria (MRSA) which humans can contract.

My daughter is 5 months and 1 week old. She has Down Syndrome and it is not a disease. It is a chromosomal disorder that happens when the sperm and egg meet during conception. There are two different types of DS. The most common is Trisomy 21 in which the cells on the 21st pair of chromosome has an extra pair instead of just 2. The other kind of DS is Mosaic in which some chromosomes on the 21st pair have an extra pair instead of all of them. People with DS still function the same as anyone else. My baby is still treated the same way. She has some health issues but nothing major. Most babies with DS are born with a heart defect that may or may not correct itself. There are other health challenges that they may face on the way but I'm sure you have researched about it online already. Good luck with your paper and let me know if you have any other questions. I'd be glad to help.

You need to think before asking, Downs Syndrome is not a disease, NOT contagious. Very few diseases can cross over from animals to humans or vice versa. There are some prominent ones though, Rabies, Lyme disease, Bird Flu, most strains of flu and AIDS to name a few.

Dog with a down syndrome! After two hours of answering the questions, You just made me cry laughing! Good one. I keep trying to imagine a dog with down syndrome.

Downs is genetic, as everyone else seems to tell you.

There are diseases that can cross from animals to humans and back again - these are known as Zoonotic, and can range from AIDS to West Nile to bubonic plague to every major flu outbreak (swine flu, avian influenza). Animals can also catch diseases from us, which is why research labs use animals to research diseases and disorders in humans.