Question for knowledgeable Protestants and Catholics?

It is my understanding that Protestants believe that Jesus covers all sins and they get to Heaven for only believing in Jesus, no matter what. First off, are there any Protestant or other non-Catholic denominations who don't believe this? Secondly, it is my understanding that Catholics believe in faith and... show more It is my understanding that Protestants believe that Jesus covers all sins and they get to Heaven for only believing in Jesus, no matter what. First off, are there any Protestant or other non-Catholic denominations who don't believe this?

Secondly, it is my understanding that Catholics believe in faith and works carrying you to Heaven and that a believing Christian can still go to hell.

So my question is: What are your Scriptural proofs for your belief in the faith only position or faith and good works position?

Please don't answer if you are not going to provide the verses or other documentation to back up your argument. Thanks!
Update: It was really hard picking a best answer on this one. There were several very good answers. Thanks for taking the time to explain. I can see Scripturally how there could be some confusion. May God guide us all.