Bexx asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Which Dog Vaccines are Harmful?

I am a dog parent and pride myself on my knowledge of canine health and disorders. I have had dogs with hypothyroidism and cancer and many other illesses in between. However, I have been doing alot of research and have been talking with my vet, and it seems that it is being discovered that some vaccines might actually be harmful to dogs. I am not at all saying not to get your dogs vaccinated, as I get my dogs vaccinated every single year. I am just wondering which ones are absolutely necessary. I have read that it all depends on where the dog lives, but I can't seem to decide which ones to eliminate. Will I really be harming my dog if I continue to give him all of the vaccinations? I don 't want him acquring autoimmune disorders, but I also don't want him to get a disease that I could have prevented.

Serious answers only please.

• WooHoo
    Favorite Answer

Good question. I have had a number of dogs have varying reactions to vaccines at the injection point. Some breeds have warnings not to mix vaccines together.

You can look into vaccine titer tests which shows how your dog has maintained antibodies. It isn't perfect but it gives you more information. You may not have a choice in vaccines such as for rabies as you have to have that in most (maybe all) places.

Here's more specific info:

http://chetday.com/dogvaccine.htm

I also think it's worth looking into those monthly flea/tick treatments. IMO, unless your dog has fleas and is out in the woods in tick-infested areas, I would stop using them.

None of my dogs (or cats) ever used them and they've never had more than a flea or tick or two on them.

This is what I personally do....

Puppy vaccines - DHPP ( Distemper, Hepatitis, Parainfluenza and Parvovirus)

1st vaccine given at 10 weeks, second at 14 weeks, third at 18 weeks.

Booster after 1 year. I then vaccinate at around age 4 and the last time at age 7. I do NOT vaccinate my dogs after age 7.

It is completely unnecessary and ineffective to vaccinate a dog every year.

It has been proven that distemper and parvo vaccines have a MINIMUM life of 5 years. No maximum life has been established. Vaccines for leptospirosis and lyme disease should be given only if there is a high prevalence of those diseases in your area. Bordatella (kennel cough) vaccine only protects against one strain of the virus and I find it completely unnecessary.

This link has some great info on new vaccine protocols.

http://www.doglogic.com/vaccination.htm

There is no one answer for that question - it really depends on your location. In 2003 The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) released vaccination guidelines, and then revised them in 2006. The recommendation is to give a core set of vaccinations once every three years, non-core as needed and others were deemed minimally effective or not worth the risk.

The AAHA recommendations are really a pretty middle of the road protocol to follow. Rabies vaccinations are, of course, mandated by law - all others are open to discussion with your vet.

One alternative to routine booster vaccinations is to have titers done and evaluate the need for a booster shot. Many vaccinations remain effective for years after the initial administration and you may not want to subject your pet to a potentially unnecessary vaccination. There is growing evidence that over-vaccination may cause immune-mediated disease in a pet's later years.

I am a vet tech in Michigan. I have my dog's vaccinated with:

1. Rabies (duh, lol. Here it's law)

2. Distemper/Parvovirus/Parainfluenza (all in one vaccine. I see TONS of dogs with parvo, many who got one shot as a puppy and their owners thought that meant they were good for a year).

3. Leptospirosis. (This one is often included in a distemper parvo vaccine, but the one I use is a 4 strain protection. I've never seen a positive dog, but they can get this living in a fenced in yard because it is spread by the urine of wild animals. It causes kidney failure).

4. Bordetella, aka Kennel Cough (I recommend this for any dog who is going to be around a lot of other dogs, like at the groomers, or a show, or dog park. It's highly contagious)

If you live in the woods or an area with a lot of ticks, consider lyme vaccine.

Vaccines my boss, the veterinarian recommends AVOIDING are:

1. Coronavirus (I think she said it's not very effective)

2. Porphyromonas (This is a fairly new vaccine against a bacterin that causes bone loss in dental disease. When my boss used this on her Pomeranian, the dog developed a tumor that she had to remove).

Just my two cents!

P.S. For any of you cat owners reading this: Cats (even indoor only cats) are more likely to get rabies than dogs! Vaccinate them!

seriously.. most people who are afraid of over-vaccinating their dogs just do titers every year instead of vacs. The titer is a blood test to show where the dog's immunity level is at. Titers can be more costly, and you would have to pay for a separate titer for each disease.

Rabies vaccine is required by law.

You do want to be sure your dog is safe from distemper and parvo for sure.

Some diseases depend on your dog's exposure. If its around other dogs alot you will want canine hepatits and bordatella as well.

If your dog is a hunting or working dog you will want it to be protected from lyme and lepto.

Lepto vaccine only protects against the 4 more common strains, out of 30-some strains!

I am told corono is unnessecary in a healthy adult dog because only puppies and adults with compromised immune systems can get it.

Corono and Lepto are the 2 main vaccines that cause vaccine reactions, expecially in small dogs.

My advice is to read up on the diseases and to see how they are contracted, determine from there if you feel your dog is at risk of them. If your dog is low risk, it may not be worth vaccinating/titering your dog for it.

If your dog is a breeding *****, you should have her vax'd for everything so she has the immunity to pass on to her unborn puppies.

Also some people also choose to just have their dog vaccinated every 3 years instead of yearly.

If your vet is not comfortable with titers, leaving vaccines out of the plan, or doing the 3 year shots, find another vet! Vaccination protocalls are changing, and if your vet is still a firm believer in yearly vaccinations, he is not following up on changes.

It is open to hot debate, with some vets preferring more vaccinations than others, some recommend 3 year rabies vaccines, etc.

The one vaccine I would not give dachshunds is for leptospirosis - dachsies tend to have an extreme reaction to that.

You need to get a vet you can trust.

This may not answer your question fully but - would you give your children vaccinations every year of their lives?

I know I wouldnt.

My vet doesnt sell vaccinations unless you ask for them. Rabies is required by law (for now) but the rest are completely voluntary.

Good luck and thanks for doing your research and having an open mind. What a great pet owner you are!

Dr. Ron Schultz of Wisconsin University did a duration of immunity study in 1999 and posted his work on the net. Vaccines are good for many, many years.

http://svmweb.vetmed.wisc.edu/articles/68/5/39

Another good site with lots of links is by Dr. Bob Rogers, a vet in Texas.

http://www.critteradvocacy.org

While we're at it. Dr. Malernee of Florida has an excellent article on Heartworm and the heartworm pill

http://www.evidencebasedvet.com

Just lick on articles and scroll down to the one on heartworm. Be sure to follow the link to the government's website and read it.

1

Source(s): Hypothyroidism Treatments http://HypothyroidismRevolution.emuy.info/?mXV1