Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

C4 Snake asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 1 decade ago

Television On Standby?

How much electricity does a television use on standby compare to one that is switched on (as a percentage if possible)

Thanks

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

a tv left on stanby will use at least 70% of the electricity to when it is turned on, it is always better to turn off,

• 1 decade ago

Our television uses 36/37 Watts when on, and 6 Watts when off, so that's about 16% of the 'on' power.

To give an idea, 1 Watt of power on all years costs around £1. I think it's actually a little less than that, but with energy prices rising, it's still a good rough guide. So turning your television off at night would save you around £3 a year. It doesn't sound much, but if you do the same for computer/microwave/DVD player/HiFi etc. it can come to quite a lot.

In our house, the worst offender was the microwave, which used 42 Watts when not doing *anything* except displaying the time. So thats £30-£40 or so saved a year for us, as it's only switched on during meal times for preperation

• Dave
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I had a leaflet from my electricity supplier and it says that on stand by it uses just as much electric as it does being on.The biggest electricity user is a fridge freezer,i must admit i was surprised by this.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Not worth the bother, Tried it once and had to re tune the channels and it's the same with the DVD recorder time date etc

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

One third that it uses when its on. If left in stand by for a year it would cost you an average of £30, extra on your bill.

Source(s): Dragons Den
  • 1 decade ago

About 10% (8W compared to 70W+ for a 20" crt TV)

• 1 decade ago

Varies according to the model. Some are far better than others but good pratice to turn off altogether if you can.

• 1 decade ago

It uses just about the same, so they say on the tv advert

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Not Enough! F*ck Global Warming!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.