I have just had a blood test and my ESR is "2" is that ok ??

9 Answers

Relevance
  • cimex
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

Yes provided your ESR was done properly i.e. by collecting whole blood from you and mixing it with antocoagulant in a test tube and leaving the result undisturbed for an hour? Your ESR would have been increased above 2 if the level of Dibrinogen was raised in response to inflammation such as caused by infection of an autoimmune disease like temporal arteritis, and also would be increaseed if levels of immunoglobulins were too high as would be the case if you had had multiple mycloma. So seems you are OK.

• 1 decade ago

It's more curious why you had the test done, but your results are normal, they are looking for a higher value. Look up Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate on webMD or a medical site and it'll give you more info on it.

A sedimentation rate (sed rate) test is done to:

Determine whether a condition causing inflammation is present.

Monitor the response to treatment of some conditions, such as an infection or some autoimmune diseases.

Most common rates (it varies a bit from hospital to hospital)

Sedimentation rate Males younger than 50:

0–15 millimeters per hour (mm/hr)

Males 50 and older:

0–20 mm/hr

Females younger than 50:

0–25 mm/hr

Females 50 and older:

0–30 mm/hr

Source(s): my lab guide.
  • 1 decade ago

ESR (Erythrocyte sedimentation rate) is a screening test and will not show a specific condition. The test indirectly measures how much inflammation is in the body. Your value of two does not mean much because it is measured in mm/hr (millimeters per hour) according to the Westergren method. These are some normal readings:

Adults (Westergren method):

* Men under 50 years old: less than 15 mm/hr

* Men over 50 years old: less than 20 mm/hr

* Women under 50 years old: less than 20 mm/hr

* Women over 50 years old: less than 30 mm/hr

If indeed you have a reading of 2mm/hr by the Westergren method and you are not an infant your reading may be low. It may mean an indication of several things.

* Congestive heart failure

* Hyperviscosity

* Hypofibrinogenemia (decreased fibrinogen levels)

* Low plasma protein (due to liver or kidney disease)

* Polycythemia

* Sickle cell anemia

Do some googling and you'll find lots of info on this BUT your doctor is the one to ask to get YOUR specific information from. YOUR DOCTOR would have a reason to have this test done and needs to see the results of other things that most probably were also screened for.

Source(s): 1) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/00... 2) My cousin who is an MD practitioner.
  • aquino
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Sed Rate Of 2

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Normal ESR in a male is age divided by 2, in a female age + 10 divided by 2. So 2 is quite normal.

Source(s): GP for more years than I care to remember
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I have just had a blood test and my ESR is "2" is that ok ??

Source(s): blood test esr quot 2 quot ok: https://tr.im/Ng3Cu
  • 3 years ago

Source(s): Kidney Treatments http://teres.info/KidneyHealth/?751w
  • P S
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

It tests the inflammation in your system. Inflammation can lead to heart disease. You have a good doctor. 2 is a great number.

• 4 years ago

Its high, but that just is an indicator of inflammation, but completely nonspecific.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.