Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 decade ago

how do i know if anyone else is connecting to my wireless hub,my neigh knows my pin,how do i no if hes using i

he asked to use my wireless connection for one day,i gave him my pin number,why woldnt it connect,and how do i know if hes connected and using it

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Unplug your router and see if he knocks on the door, or ...

Login to your router and under connections list the computers connected. Sometimes called DHCP client list on the router. You can add a password or just allow specific computers to use your router based upon MAC address written on the bottom of you laptop.

Usually that is done by clicking on a link such as this ...

• 1 decade ago

If you are using a wireless router for your broadband, you can log into the administrative section of the router and see what computers are connected. Additionally, you can change your wireless password there too. It is a good idea to change it periodically to ensure others don't pinch your Internet access.

If you are talking about wireless service you receive, the only thing you can do is call to change your PIN.

• 1 decade ago

Go to start -> run and type in cmd.

It should show a scriped window.

Type in:

IPCONFIG

Copy the default gateway exactly into Internet Explorer (or whatever browser you want). Hit Enter.

Now type in whatever password you have (or the defualt one if you havn't set a password to go in the security place).

Now it changes depending on your router but you should go to a screen called Status or Overview and somewhere in there it should show currently connected.

If you don't reconize one of the IP Adresses/Computer names then your neighbour is using the connection.

You can see the IP of a computer by doing the IPCONFIG thing I told you how to do at the start.

• nathan
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

looking into something called ethereal. It's a network protocol analyzer. The program will capture all the packets being sent thru the hub. you have to note which ip address are being used inside your house. Compare this to what the report that ethereal has given you, and if you see an ip address that is not from inside your house, you know it's your neighbor.

The program is open sourced (meaning you can download and not pay anything for it). there is a huge community, so you have excellent support for unknown problems.

hope this works out for you

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Steven
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Log into your router using a web browser and check if a strange computer is listed on the active connections page. Change your PIN whilst you're there.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

go to the wireless router home page

on there should be something to look at attached devices. this will show any computers connected to the router.

you should enable WEP protection also on the router home page. this will give you a pass key (or passphrase) that you need to connect to the router.

router homepage is normally 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Change your PIN and don't give it to anyone again.

• 1 decade ago

Log into your router and check the dhcp clients table. You should also be able to check the log.

If you're concerned, change your network name and/or security key.

• 1 decade ago

he probably is using it. call the company, and change the pin

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

if the guy knows your pin he deserves to use it.

Why not give him your atm card pin and your credit card numbers too.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.