how can i make my garden level /flat?

Hi, i have recently moved into a lovely house with a very large garden. Trouble is the garden is very unlevel and has lots of little holes here and there that you cant see til you trip in them. With 2 small children i would like to make the garden a little safer for them. I was wondering if anyone knew how to make the garden abit more level and less of a trip hazard. Any suggestions would be great :)

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

If you have dents and small holes you could lay top soil over and reseed the area for the grass to grow back..If its a bigger problem then it may pay to get professional gardeners in who may dig up large areas and level and re turf..Good luck..

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

To make your garden level : -

Remove all the turf [if any], prepare the ground so that it shows only exposed earth/soil.

Take a plank of wood, about six feet in length. Make a hole at each end of the plank. Tie a rope [knotted] through each hole leaving enough free rope to fit easily over your shoulders and around the back of your neck.

Place the plank of wood on the ground before you and move it from one end of your harden to the other, shoving it forwared with right or left foot. Start in one corner and do this in a straight line down the full length of your garden. Turn and go back etc.

As you move slowly across your exposed land, the plank will show you exactly where the dips and holes are. Fill these in with loose soil and/or sand as you go.

Okay, once you have leveled the land in the time honoured [Stone Henge] technique described above. You can then decide where you want to put your paths, if any.

Setting paths in a new garden. Leave the land blank as above for at least one week and allow everyone in your house to use the garden, ie to talk across it to get to some point at the other side, for whatever reason.

Where the majority of footprints are, is where you put your path[s].

Please note that if you want to do exact levelling of land, then you will need to put posts in the ground at about six inches in height and level between these. I'm not sure how this is done but any local builder will explain it to you.

Source(s): ...sri spell checker bust...!!
  • ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

for this summer it may be an idea just to fill the holes with sand or sandy soil, at least then the garden will be safer for the kids during the summer. in the autumn or early next spring the best idea would probably be to topsoil and turf it. i have just had a house built and the garden was like a building site, i have just topsoiled and turfed, it doesn't look like a prize garden but the kids can play in it safely, when they get older then i will worry about having a prize winning lawn. good luck.

• 1 decade ago

You can bring in a load of sand or sandy soil, spread it out and then pull a cross tie around the garden to spread it out evenly, or you can do as my son-in-law is going to do to his whole backyard (small). He is going to till it up with the tiller so all the soil is loose, then get a crossed tie and pull it around the backyard (probably on a tractor) to level it out. They bought a new house a couple of years ago and the backyard was not leveled at all. It's quite hazardous and they have a little munchkin now they want to have a nice place to play when he's up and around.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Rent a small tractor with a box grader and get a truck load of top soil. Use the tractor to spread the new top soil over the area you want to fill in. This will be the most expensive. A cheaper way to do it would be to go and get a load of dirt yourself, if you have a truck or trailer to haul the dirt. Shovel by shovel fill in the holes, smooth and level with the rest of the garden.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Easiest tool would be a tractor with a blade (doesn't have to be a BIG tractor, just a garden tractor with a front mounted blade). Have a load of topsoil brought in, then use the blade to spread it across the garden. The weight of the tractor will also compress the material as you make multiple passes.

• essdee
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

keep sifting soil into the holes so the grass can grow through is a lot easier than digging it all up and rolling it flat.

Kids will learn where the holes are soon enough!

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

hire a rotavator and do the full garden. then buy some turf and lay it. dont go on it for 6 weeks and wala nice new garden with no bumps.

Source(s): thats what i did anyway.
  • 1 decade ago

With small children, you may use peat and mulch chips to prevent accidents if they fall. It also provides good traction in slopes.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sit on it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.