amy00 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What can you give a dog to take away the pain?

I have a 3 year old pit bull and she hurt her leg last night on a 2 mile run. She will hardly walk and I have to carry her outside to let her go to the bathroom. All vets are closed today as it is the 4th of July, but I was wondering if there is anything that I can give her to take the pain away till tomorrow when I can take her to the vet.

try giving her half of an aspirin, my vet told me to give my old golden retriever half of an asprin because of her arthritis. don't giver more than a half a day. it's best just to use it sparingly but i think that it will relieve her pain. i hope that your dog will get better!

there's nothing you can do until you know exactly what happened.

All I can say is something similar happened to my dog. She was 12 and she got a spurt of puppy energy when I was throwing a softball back and forth with my mom, and I threw it a few feet away. She ran after it and went down with a yelp. We waited a few days cause vets were out, but we found out why she couldn't bend her back leg and why she barely used it - she ripped all the tendons in her back knee. We had to put her down about a week later. There was a surgury we could've done, but she was so old and already had major arthritis (her spine fused in 2 of 3 parts, the 3rd part was half fused, she had hip problems, etc, but she still did good on walks)

All I can say is wait for the vet.

If your dog is the same with moving, I say she probably did the same, but since she's young, she still has hope (but it's freaking expensive for the surgery apparently).

But until you see a vet, just let her rest (but make sure she gets enough movement that she doesn't cramp up), and give her plenty of water (and food if she feels like eating it).

She might've just pulled a joint for all you know.

I got chewed by the vet for giving my dog a 200mg anti-inflammatory - even though it appeared to work, and the vet was closed on Sunday. Try the baby aspirin for now, but get to the vet first thing and tell them what you have given the dog, in case there would be a reaction with any meds the vet prescribes.

You are asking for trouble. The pain protects the limb from further injury. The best answer is rest. You can cause serious side effects by dosing the dog on some human pain medicined. Dogs are not funny shapped little people. Their chemistry is different, and they process drugs differently than other species.

try putting some ice on the leg, and call the 24 hour vet and see what they suggest.

I would not administer any medications unless you check with the professionals first.

Hope the dog is feeling better soon.

• Lisa

Call the 24-hour vet.

give her as much rest as you possibly can. but take her outside about 3 to 4 times a day. offer food and water daily, and she should have something for her to keep her occupied.

hope this helps ^_^

Give baby asprin (one because it tastes good to them, two because it's lesser doses) and take her in in the AM. I have a dog that hurts her leg often because she is old and has arthritis, it really eases her pain! :)

Asprin will work in small amounts 1 - 200mg no more...

vet time

Source(s): =^)