Are PC monitors "HD"?

I have heard that PC monitors are HD but how can this be when they have no way of being connected to a HD service such as "Sky HD", computers do not support BluRay or HD-DVD and cannot play games consoles such as PS3 and XBox 360.

Also, if this were true surely the companys would advertise the fact that there monitors are HD.

Update:

also Muff!n, yes I do understand a Lot about computers and have just completed a 3 year course on prgraming but I am always willing and wanting to learn more.

I don't see the harm in asing questions on this site, it is called "Answers". Curiosity never harmed anyone.

I could just be completely ignorant like you for saying that!

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Best answer

Yes, any monitor built to SVGA or XGA standard is at least as good, if not better, than any HD picture you'll get on a TV. No signal losses or drop outs.

Of course, it doesn't run HD films unless you connect an HD/PC source.

• 1 decade ago

Monitors that are capable of displaying enough lines of resolution (prefereablly 1080) in a 16:9 format can be HD. Plus, some computers are coming out with Blu ray drives and HD-DVD drives. So it is possible to watch HD content on those monitors, with or without an external signal source.

• 1 decade ago

By definition if you're monitor has enough pixels, then it is HD. However, HD devices output their signal in a very specific format, for example in 1080 or 720 lines. If you're monitor is not 16/9 format or has no HDMI connector, it is unlikely it can set itself to these precise definitions, which results in moiré. It's a shame because many PC monitors have more pixels than HDTVs. If you buy a monitor with a HDMI connector, it should be HDTV compatible as these standards are linked. And you should be able to plug it to your console if it has a HDMI connector. And if you buy a bluRay drive for your PC it should work.

• MUff1N
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

You really don't understand much about computers do you???

Yes there are Monitors that do indeed "support" the viewing of High Definition. To do that on a computer you have to have 3 things...

1. A HD monitor.

2. A Graphics card that supports & renders HD.

3 A DVD drive that Supports and reads HD.

Then you CAN watch HD on your computer...

Source(s): Years.......of computer knowledge and experience...
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

PC monitors are not HD in the TV sense of the term.

• 1 decade ago

Compute that are brand new have blue-ray disc players fitted in2 them for HD gaming nd HD films and HD!<33

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There are many types of monitor outon tyhe market.There are HD tvs that can act as pc monitors.I suppose if you have hd imputs then its probably a hd ready monior.Hope this answer your question!

• 1 decade ago

Im not sure but they do have this connection called dvi input which is like HD version for PC monitors. DVI is better than VGA as it has better picture quality.

• 1 decade ago

yep and they have been doing it for years no need to advertise because such a term never previously existed, computers have scalable graphics they render to a specifyed resoulution whereas tvs are hardware locked and can only display the source resolution

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no who ever told you that is telling lies as computer monitors do not come with hd i have seen some with hd and thee shops have stated this

plus the price stated it too the one that had hd cost allot more than the other identical one because of its hd

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.