What do man made satellites look like in the nights sky, can we see them?

I saw what looked like a star, but it was moving very fast. My family thought it was a plane but I said it was to high and told them it had to be a satellite. Soon after we lost sight of it and I assumed it went into the Earth's shadow and was no longer visible. Was I correct?

Favorite Answer

Satellites look like small moving stars and they do not twinkle or blink. Many ar on a "Polar" route so you can see them moving in a North to South or South to North direction. On a clear night, away from lights, just lay on a blanket and stare up at the sky. Sooner or later you'll see one moving. Also, it usually takes about 90 minutes or so for a satellite to orbit the Earth. If you see a satellite every hour and a half, it might very well be the same one. Some satellites stay over the same Ground Position and move at the same speed as the spin of the Earth. These are pretty much impossible to see with the naked eye. The International Space Station will look like a very bright satellite and is so large that it almost looks like it has a shape.

• Austin3 years agoReport

you can see comm. satellites sometimes in all four coeners of sky. they aways have red green n white lgts. 20-45 * off horizon.theyll move position over hr or two

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): man satellites nights sky them: https://shortly.im/XK5g0

The best way to see satellites is to lie on your back and look at the night sky. If you see a "star" moving slowly across the sky and possibly even "winking" the chances are it a satellite. (The winking is caused by some satellites catching light off any solar panels as they spin)

Yeah, you probably were... they usually look like rapidly moving stars; airplanes have anti-collision lights, and you can see them blinking; some satellites rotate, and you can see them slowly get brighter & dimmer as they move & reflect more or less sunlight. Generally, you could see a satellite about every 18 minutes almost anywhere on Earth - because there's about 1,000 functioning ones, and 10,000 obsolete ones still in orbit.

I think if you get the right area and coordinates to look at a satellite you would be able too. But i think you would not recognize it. It would not be a metal looking small space craft. I think that you could have seen a shooting star. I dont think that a satellite would be moving fast in the sky when you see it. The moon is moving fast around us and we dont see it zooming in the sky. You probably saw a plane or shooting star - it may be a meteor

Yep, probably. Through the naked eye a satellite will just look like a moving star.

They look like stars flying over. Yes, you can see them with the naked eye. Go to a dark site on a night when they're scheduled to fly over and ENJOY!!! I've seen the space station fly over, as well. Someone in our astronomy group was always up on satellites and would point them out to us as they flew over. Really fun.

• N E

You can see many satellites overhead. Go to http://www.heavens-above.com and register your location and you will get a list of satellites and also when the ISS (International Space Station) and space shuttle (not up right now) goes over. Also, you can go to http://www.nasa.gov and get e-mails sent to you for satellite passes over your location.

you were correct.