What exactly are US & British Army doing in Iraq?

Who are they at war with? Is it to help innocent citizens from extremists? Or what?

29 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

Originally of course it was the WMD. Or 45 minutes to total extermination according to good old Tony Blair,The fact that the UN would not give a mandate for invasion was just a slight technical hitch. We all know,and many suspected before invasion, that WMD did not exist.

The propoganda machines then went into overtime and to justify invasion convinced the gullible that in actual fact the real reason was the removal of Saddam Hussein - an evil dictator who the US & UK Governments had actually backed and kept in power for 30 years. A fact they forgot to mention.

His capture was a major consolation prize. His public trial & execution were a political necessity. Had he been tried at the Hague his sentence would have been imprisonment not death. A result not in keeping with the needs of the US & UK Governments to justify the invasion and ensueing loss of life.

The removal of Saddam has left the field wide open for all religious factions to play for ultimate power in Iraq. Saddam kept this problem under control by the use of the iron fist & fear techniques.

The factions know that eventually the Coalition forces will withdraw. It is a no win situation as in Northern Ireland.

Unlike convential warfare their enemy wears no uniform so cannot be identified. Attempts to extract information regularly end with an appearance in court over the tactics used where the people prosecuting and sentencing the "offenders" have no idea what "dirty war" is all about.

When they do withdraw the country will quickly revert to it's former state. One religious faction with the power and the others subjugated by any means necessary. It is all they understand and appreciate. The fact that the people in Iraq do little or nothing to aid the fight speaks for itself. They would rather celebrate in the streets whenever a member of the coalition forces is killed.

• 1 decade ago

The British Army is currently deployed in over 80 countries around the world, even though the UK is not currently at war with anyone. Anyone who thinks the British Army is only used when war is declared is obviously missing what the Army actually does for 95% of the time. Full details of all deployments including Iraq can be found at the website below.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well the number one enemy right now in Iraq for the US and Britain is Al Qeada. There are also other groups that are showing resistance as well, mainly old Saddam loyals, Shiite and sunni extremist groups. Some of these groups fight each other, some help each other and what not. So it is very complicated for the US to figure out who the enemy actually is.

• 1 decade ago

Well, 'war'(for lack of a better term) is a bit of a stretch....it's more like an asymmetrical conflict. It's part of a larger operation known as the Global War On Terror. The basic function of the troops over here right now is to conduct stability operations, nation-building operations, raids on AIF's, and to train the Iraqi military structure to handle thier own internal defense. That's what we are doing here.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

God knows.

But the sad thing is we might still need to stay there for a while. The war stuffed up there government really badly. The old Iraq had 'some' stability (But I know Saddam was still very evil) .

We need someone who has a good exit plan,

Barack Obama's plan is what we need to get us out of there.

• 1 decade ago

The same thing that the rest of the Coalition is doing, trying to support the democratically elected government. Why just ask about the US and UK? What about the thousands of Mongols? Or the Romanians? Macedonians? Japanese? All the other nations that are there...including the one from Iceland?

• 1 decade ago

They are fighting against the stink terrorists, I want all Anti-War people to go over to Iraq and meet those *innocent* people that U.S. and allies are accused of killing.

The Anti-War people will find out just how innocent those insurgents really are when they start shooting at anyone who is not a Muslim, or shooting at any Muslim who doesn't fit their idea of what Islam is.

• 1 decade ago

At this moment in time they are trying to fight terrorists, however the irony is that the only reasons the terrorists are targetting Iraq is because the US and Britain are there. Bit of a Catch 22 situation

• 1 decade ago

It depends on when you ask. First, it was the weapons of mass destruction, then taking out Sadam Hussein, then "bringing democracy" (something we are sorely lacking of late here in the US!) to the country. Did I forget one?? Most of us feel it is really about oil, power, and $$$. I love my country, but am ashamed of my President ( I cringe to even call him that) and everything he has done and everything he and his cronies represent.

• 1 decade ago

a good question and your not alone in asking this//i see NO reason why our men cant be withdrawn now and if they wish to fight amongst themselves that's up to them /There is no reason at all why the men have to fill in each day and night just to keep these people away from different factions let them do it themselves//the men are needed back here to get this country sorted out and given a free hand to do so/ never mind about PC and human rights

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.